commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Two recent acquisitions  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have recently commissioned and had two pieces made which I thought people may be interested in.
In both cases I am absolutely delighted with the finished pieces and can thoroughly recommend the makers.

The first is a hand painted No.5 Commando wall plaque - I remember my late father's but over the years and after many house moves, it is long gone. I have searched antique shops and the internet but to no avail - so I decided to have one made.

I made enquiries with two firms and settled for C H Munday of Bordon in Hampshire as they have a long history in military wall plaques . I sent a photo of a No.5 Cdo plaque and they produced an exact replica. It took about 8 weels as they gradually build up the relief - as in the handles of the knives - by hand painted layers of paint.

The second is a beautifully detailed, hallmarked silver brooch. This was originally designed by Johnnie Morris, No.2 Cdo and I had it made by the same bespoke jewellers that he used, VJG Jewellers in Worthing.

Nick

[Thumb - 100_9655.JPG]
 Filename 100_9655.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 680 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  583 time(s)

[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename 1.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 92 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  565 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/05/2016 15:44:50

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick, they both look very well done, the brooch looks fantastic, may I ask the rough dimensions of the brooch, I am guessing no large than an inch tall?

Regards Vic
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Vic,

The dims of the brooch are - 32 mm diameter and length of the dagger is 38 mm, weight approximately 8.4 grams.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick, slightly larger than my guess.. I downloaded the image to get a better look and noticed a nice star / glint on the tip as the light catches it.

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Vic,
I'm pleased you spotted that - you're probably only the second person to do so (me being the first, of course).

Any shiny surface, especially silver, can be a bit of a bugger to photograph and to retain detail - because of reflections - but I was chuffed with the little 'glint' on the tip of the knife on this particular shot - none of the others had it!

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/05/2016 22:57:53

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger