commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Medal  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello All
Question for you! I have seen a medal its a similar shape to the V.C. a square cross, with the Commando knife in the middle and an inscription "For Commando Service" this is mounted on the usual dark green ribbon, can anyone throw some light on, what, why and where.
Thanks, Ron
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I don't know anything about this medal but, by chance, I've just come across this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-THE-COMBINED-OPERATIONS-CROSS_W0QQitemZ280108272456QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4724QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
perhaps the explanation is of some help?
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Hockhamlain

I have seen these medals before. They come in two sizes. I do not know where they originate but I am fairly certain they are unofficial.

I personally think there should have been a Commando Star in the range of WW2 Stars issued to acknowledge Commando Service. Like the 1939-45 Star Etc.

But I think the 'Top Brass's' dislike of the Commandos in general must have put a stop to that ever coming to fruition.

Perhaps we can start a petition for a Commando Service medal to be issued after all the Suez vets were successful!!

all the best

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Please see post CHOCOLATE BOX DECORATIONS of 18 Jan 07.
Cheers
Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of all, Geoff. The ad for this appeared in the current "Legion" magazine, so I'm sure that is what brought it up. I checked it out to see what it was all about. Bob was upset - just a money-making scheme. He did say the only way it would have any meaning would be if the CVA was managing it. Then it would not be available to just anybody. He does feel the same about all the 'medals' worn by our Canadian Legion members who sometimes resemble decorated Christmas Trees! We love your evaluation of this junk as chocolate box decorations. Wish we had thought of the term.

All the best - stay safe,

Janet & Bob Bishop

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger