commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
POW Escape from Milag and Marlag Nord april 1945  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Wurzle
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
Can anyone shed any light on this please

According top my dads service record he was a POW at Milarg and Marlag Nord
and Escaped on 16th April 1945. my querie is wasn't that camp liberated before that?
only I cant find anything about an escape! and to be fair his service records don't give any info
a bit vague to say the least. so I'm wondering why it says 'Escaped. should it have read Liberated

My dad was in E Troop 45 RM Commando

any help would be appreciated
[Thumb - POW Document Stanley Worsley.JPG]
 Filename POW Document Stanley Worsley.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  738 time(s)

[Thumb - 1-IMG_20160327_0001 - Copy.jpg]
 Filename 1-IMG_20160327_0001 - Copy.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 206 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  743 time(s)

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

There are quite a lot of references online to the camp which, from what I can see was, split into two...one for Merchant Seaman (Milag) and the other (Marlag) for Royal Navy, RAF, and other military prisoners. There are references to the Marlag prisoners being marched away from the camp in April by their guards before liberation to Lubeck on 10 April 1945 , the column being straffed by the RAF with some casualties and escapes.

There is an IWM recording of an interview with a POW (Fred Smith RN) who describes how some of them escaped just before the Americans liberated the camp. The details are on Reel 3. Here is the link: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80024559

The National Archives have records of Escaped Prisoners. More info is here British Prisoners WW2 and Korean War

and here RM Escape and Evasion Reports

There is IWM footage of the Liberation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4B1ZUgSDdE

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/04/2016 23:22:34

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Chambellan
Forum Member

I may have some information on this escape. Two Americans, Peter Ortiz and Donald Naughton, were among those that escaped from the column of prisoners when it was strafed. In their separate accounts both men mention they were with a small group, five or six if memory serves, but neither list them by name. Do you have any more information about your father's escape?

Ryan
Wurzle
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Sorry Ryan
Don't have any more info. As you can see his Army records don't show much

Regards
Steve

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger