commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
7018924 RFN Maginnis S  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
ASR142
Forum Member

Hi Chaps
I was going through some of my bits today from Duckworth's bits when I remembered I have the cert and some papers from 7018924 RFN Maginnis S who served with 4th Para Troop 12 army commando he seams to be missing of the roll as well heres his pic saidly it a poor example but the best i can do for him and a pic of the rest of the troop which was apparently the last pic done of this troops note where the jump wings are being worn and that these are blacked backed .steve
[Thumb - IMG_1628.JPG]
 Filename IMG_1628.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 433 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  852 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_1627.JPG]
 Filename IMG_1627.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 480 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  862 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/03/2016 21:49:04

ASR142
Forum Member

7018924 RFN Maginnis S PICTURE AS STATED ITS A POOR PIC
[Thumb - IMG_1629.JPG]
 Filename IMG_1629.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 616 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  832 time(s)

ASR142
Forum Member

the full pics of 4 Para Troop Army Commando taken at littlehampton Sussex .
[Thumb - IMG_1634.JPG]
 Filename IMG_1634.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 646 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  857 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve

Thanks for the post. We actually do have a Rfn Maginnis (12 & 6 Cdos) attached from the Royal Ulster Rifles, listed in our website Obituaries (recently added to the site) however his first name is shown as John. Here is the link to that page:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesM-R

In the website Nom Roll for No 6 Commando (again very recently displayed in a new format on our site. see link below) we also have a 7018924 Pte John Maginnis. So its likely to be the same man just the query on the first name. This is not uncommon but I will make some more enquiries as one of the first names could be a middle name used, a nickname known by, or simply an error. Interestingly the Commando Service Certificate does not show No 6 Commando but the countries shown suggest it.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/6CommandoNomRollI-O

With regards to the photo, I am pleased to say we already have a good resolution copy of this image with names in our No 12 Commando gallery. It can be viewed here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/12/12+cdo+4+troop.jpg.html

There are annotations written on the rear of the photo which are displayed alongside it in the No 12 Commando gallery. I will deal with the gallery updates soon and Nick will spot this and update the Nom Roll for No 12.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/03/2016 10:25:35

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

As Pete has just said, I'm also on the case and was adding Rfn Maginnis to the No.12 Nominal Roll as he was answering you...
I noticed the discrepancy with the initial and wonder whether it was a mix up between a type written S or J - poor type writers, clogged letters, worn tapes etc often led to errors!

I also noticed that the certificate was signed by OC No.4 Commando - I wonder if Rfn Maginnis spent time with them too?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi

Another option should be that the S is for Sean,which I believe also means John.

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
ASR142
Forum Member

GrahamCooper wrote:Hi

Another option should be that the S is for Sean,which I believe also means John.

Graham

Hi Chaps
Graham is probably right he uses both initials on his paper work which the above post made me go and dig it all out again to take a look through it all attached is his discharge cert from 1946 I dont have much of his bits but some .
A big thanks to Pete and Nick for there work thanks for looking steve
[Thumb - IMG_1652.JPG]
 Filename IMG_1652.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 558 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  853 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Steve,

I've amended the No.12 Cdo Nominal Roll to 'John'.
At the end of the day, we have him recorded - with his surname, number & regiment - so He Will Be Remembered.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just finally to add that Rfn. Maginnis has the name John on his membership record of the original Commando Association.I will update the gallery later today with his pic.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have been contacted by the son of Rfn Maginnis who advises the image above next to the troop is not of his father, although the certificates are related to him. The gallery entry has been amended and the original photo removed and replaced with actual images of his father.

Full details are here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/JohnMaginnisCommando

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/06/2016 00:11:51

[Email]
ASR142
Forum Member

Hi every one
Peter contacted me the other day regarding this post and put me in touch with his son I can now say all of his bits have been reunited with his family as they where split up by mistake about 6 years ago and now reside back with them in there proper place for the time being a good result imo for the family as the bits where sadly missed . Steve

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/06/2016 23:10:11

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger