commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Training location,MORAR  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Help please.

What was the training centre at MORAR.

Most web sites quote it was a training centre for the SOE.

Was it available for training commandos.

Many thanks,

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'll be very interested in any information, too.

When my dad drove us round this area I'm sure I remember him telling me they trained there. Mind you, he used to say they trained everywhere up there. :)

Whether he did this with No.4 Commando or 10th Independent, I don't know.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

The Secret Scotland website - which I find very useful in the context - states as follows:

"Although Morar Lodge is referred to as having been used as for training by the Special Operations Executive during World War II, specific details have still to be located."

(The editors seem a little more certain about the use of nearby Camusdarroch Lodge by that organisation.)

Both properties are close to Arisaig House, which definitely was used for training SOE agents.

My understanding is that other country houses in the vicinity had satellite uses, such as providing sleeping accommodation.

Best wishes,

John
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I am currently reading 'Our Land at War', a Portrait of Rural Britain - 1939-45.
There is a section on Country Houses used by the military.
One is Brockhall (STS 1)....where the celebrated Sergeant Harry Court taught recruits how to maim rather than kill Germans his point being that a crippled enemy took more looking after than a dead one.
Another is Arisaig House in Inverness-shire (STS 11)which specialized in Commando techniques.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
JMB
Forum Member

"Para-Military Training in Scotland during World War 2" does not list Morar Lodge as being used by SOE. SOE tended to be Arisaig House and North of there (except Inverlair) and Combined Operations South of Arisaig House on the other side of the loch and South and East.

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger