commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
New Obituaries Section added with thousands of names  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

My thanks to Graham Cooper for all his very hard work on our nominal rolls and rolls of honour. Graham has sent me a comprehensive Obituary list of names which I have now posted on the site. There are thousands of names, compiled from our own records, and those listed in Commando Association newsletters. I have listed them in separate sections by surname order.

Before I remove our current list I would like it double checked against the new sections and as such I would like some VOLUNTEERS to help in doing this.

All it would involve is 5 volunteers each selecting a group to check that the names on our current long list are also on the new sections headed A-C, D-G, H-L, M-R, S-Z. I would like to get this sorted as soon as possible so if you can help, please just add which group you are doing in reply to this message.

If you have someone whose name you would like included please reply on this message full name, rank if known, age, and date of death. If there is a link to another forum message, or gallery entry, please include that also. Please note that we can only add names where we have proof of service in a Commando unit.

The Obituary Section is on the Home Page navigation menu along with all the other recent content posted.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Obituaries

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 22/03/2018 14:00:37

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My dad's on the list twice. His date of death is correct on the George Harris entry ... his middle name was Francis, as written further down.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/04/2017 13:37:34

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Absolutely fantastic piece of work Graham Cooper ....thanks for this.

This is the sort of document that is making this site the number one on the internet for historical reference for all things Commando.

Once again thanks and thanks to you Pete for posting this list for all to see.

Very best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Elaine

I have amended your father's name. Are you able to help with checking the others in your father's group, ie. the H-L section. All I want is that you look at the long list that we have had on the site for a long time and make sure that the details of all those on there with surnames beginning H-L, are now listed correctly on the new H-L section.

Obviously the new lists have a lot more names than we previously had, so no need to check all the new ones.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I would have offered my services immediately - but I'm scared I make a mess of it!

It'd be an honour to give it a go. Done, but I'll check it all again tomorrow night.

Dad's name was George Francis Harris.

I was checking all those names ... and what names they are!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 10/01/2016 21:28:15

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Pete,
I will check A-C.
Guy
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete, noticed Michael Stilwell is missing his MC on this massive list.

Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Janet. I am still updating the lists with gallantry awards as i could not get all the detail onto the site in the format that Graham sent me (website tech thing). Only the last 2 sections from M onwards left to update re awards so his will be added soon.

All the best

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/01/2016 23:09:51

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Guy for doing A-C

Thanks Eileen for H-L

3 more volunteers please for the remainder

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Well done and thanks Graham - good effort, as usual.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I will take M-R

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is my attempt at spotting missing entries or typos/missing data.
Of course I may have missed a few, so more eyes that check the better.

Summary - see below for details
Found 8 unlisted people - double checked
Found a few duplicates on the new MR page
Found a number of entries where information was missing, eg nicknames, middle names, intials etc. were not shown on the new MR page.

Looking at M-R surnames in http://www.commandoveterans.org/Obituaries

Missing from new MR page http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesM-R
==================================================================

Ossie MILLER No 2 Cdo died 17 December 2010 aged 89
Michael NAUGHTON (No 9 Cdo) died 3rd June 2015
Douglas Alexander NEISH, ISO (No 1/5 Cdo) died 11th September 2015 aged 89
Pte. Maurice William OAKLEY (No 6 Cdo)
Pte. John E. PHILP (No 6 Cdo)
Ernest E. REID (No 1 Cdo) died 1st October 2015
LCpl Albert Le RIGOLEUR (Nos 10IA & 4 Cdo)
Desmond ROCHFORD (No 2 Cdo) died 1st September 2015

Needs updating on new MR page due to typo or missing information in from http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesM-R
==================================================================

Sgt RL MOPPETT (No's 10 & 4 Cdo) - listed as MOPPET i.e one T, missing initial
Captain' Mickie' O'BRIEN MC (47 RM Cdo) died 29 August 2011 aged 89 - Listed as "O.BRIEN"
Sir Thomas 'Tommy' MACPHERSON CBE, MC, TD, DL (No 11 Cdo &SAS) died 6th November 2014
A/CSM Herbert MALLORIE MM (46RM Cdo) died 19th January 2015 - different date of death
WO2 Douggie MANN (Cdo Ordinance Field Park) died September 2009
Herbert John MANNING (45RM Commando) died 18th August 2013 aged 89 - missing middle name john
Sgt Donald Hugh MARTIN (No 4 Cdo) died 4th April 2000 aged 81 - Only intials shown, use full name
Robert McPherson MAUGHAN (No 9 Cdo) died 10th Feb 1967 - missing middle name
McCONKEY Richard Mne 40 RM 2000-10-11 - Listed twice
Jack Stephen McGEORGE (47RM Cdo) died 25 Feb 1990 - missing middle name
Patrick McVEIGH DCM (No 4 Cdo) died 25 July 2012 aged 99 - missing DCM
**MEWETT Robert Pte 12, 1 1977-09-04 - Listed twice
Sidney J MILES (No 2 Cdo) died 5 March 2011 - missing intial
Pte Ivor S MILLS (No 1 Cdo) died February 2013 - missing intial
LCpl Leonard D MILLS (No 6 Cdo) - missing intial
Lt (later Major) John F MILLS (No 7 Cdo) - missing intial
Gnr. Robert MILNE (No 2 Cdo) died 1969 aged 56 - missing year of death

**MORT Alex Sgt 2 2002-12-19 - Same person as below ?
**MORT Alexander Tsm 2 NK
Bill NEWELL (Royal Canadian Beach Cdo - W1 Section) died 5 March 2012 aged 87 - missing detail
Capt. Joe NICHOLL MC (No 2 Cdo) died 19th July 2003 - missing MC and date of death.
L/Cpl. Ronald NIGHTINGALE (No 1 Cdo) died 23rd November 1991 - missing date of death.
Sig. James Albert NORTON (1 Cdo Bde Sigs) died 4 November 1968 aged 47 - missing middle name
T.S.M. Andrew J. O'MARAH (No 1 Cdo&142 Cdo Coy) died 28 March 1974 - missing intial
Sgt. Vincent 'Ossie' OSBORNE MM (No 3 Cdo) died 10 December 2007 aged 85 - missing nickname
William Edwin PARKER (No 4 Cdo) died 21st December 2013 aged 95 -missing nickname
Dr John K PATERSON (No 1 Cdo) died 12 July 2012 aged 91 - missing Dr title, initial
2/Lt. G.R. PATTERSON (No 2 Cdo) - listed as rank of LT
Haydon Bertram PAUL (No 6 Cdo) - missing middle name
L/Cpl.S. PAWSON (No 1 Cdo) of Ancoats, Manchester died 2008 - missing place of death
**Norris PEAK (43RM Cdo) died 14 March 1995 - Listed twice
**Lt Derek PEEL (No 9 Cdo) died 1980- Listed twice
Jim PETRIE (No 6 Cdo) died April 2015 - missing first name
Captain Hedley J. PHILLIPS OBE QPM DL (48 RM Cdo) died August 2011 - missing awards and intial
Lewis Arthur 'Larry' PHILLIPS (No 4 Cdo) died 30 May 2013 aged 93 - missing nickname and middle name
Sidney Harold PICKERING (41RM Cdo) died 16 March 2004 aged 83 - missing middle name
Sgt Alexander Beverley PIRIE MM (RM Engineer Cdo 3tp) died 4 February 1998 - missing middle name
Maj. (later Col) Gordon POLLARD, OBE, MC, MM died 12th August 1964 - missing awards, listed as Maj.
Colonel Patrick Anthony PORTEOUS VC died 9th October 2000 aged 82 - missing middle name
Wilston Patrick 'Knocker' POWELL (Cdo Ordnance Squadron) died 18th September 2014 - missing nickname, middle name
Ernest William POYNTZ (No 1 Cdo) died December 2009 - missing middle name
Sgt Francis William 'Frank' PREECE (No 4 Cdo) died 18th July 2002 aged 83 - missing nickname,middle name
Rfn. Ronald W. PRIOR (3 Bde) - Missing intial, typo shows Cfn instead of Rfn
RSM John L (Jack) QUARRIE BEM (9 Cdo) died 1 January 2010 - missing intial, BEM
Pte. William Patrick READ (No 3 Cdo) - Missing middle name
Terence 'Terry' Patrick REARDON (No 1 Cdo) died 12 September 2011 aged 92 - missing nickname
Lt. Bernard Raymond REYNOLDS (46RM Cdo) died 28th September 2014 - missing middle name
Philip Henry RIDER (44 RM Cdo) died 28 February 2013 - missing middle name
Jim RIDGEWAY (40 Cdo RM) died 18 March 2010 aged 73 - Missing first name
Pearson 'Digger' RIGG MM (No 3 Cdo) of Whitley Bay died 19 April 2012 aged 90 - typo shown as "Pearon", missing award
Fus Harold RILEY (No 6 Cdo) of Manchester in May 2008 - missing "of manchester"
David Alan Eccles ROBERTS (30 Assault Unit) died March 2012 - Missing "eccles" from name
Cpl. Douglas L. ROBERTS (Nos 12 & 5 Cdo) - missing initial
Peter 'Wobbly' ROBERTS 59 Cdo RE/131 Cdo RE died 14 September 2010 aged 63 - Missing nickname
CSM. Eric Charles RODDIS (3 Cdo) - Missing middle name, listed as TSM not CSM
**Pte. Steve ROLLINS (1 Cdo Bde) died 1991 - Listed twice
Captain George A ROUTLEDGE No 4 Cdo died 25 December 2010 aged 93 - Missing initial
LCpl Eric D ROWLANDS (No 6 Cdo) - missing initial
Alfred Ernest RUSDALE (No 1 Cdo) died 16 July 2008 - Missing middle name
Philip Arthur RUSSELL (No 3 Cdo) died February 2009 aged 94 - Missing middle name
Major Ted RUSTON MC (RA attd 1 Cdo Bde) died 30th December 2014 aged 99 - Missing middlename, awards

^Pete R. All the above have been dealt with. I'm pleased to say that Graham's list did include all the missing middle names, and these have now been added. On the rank of Pryor, CFN is not a typo and is correct, rank of Craftsman (he was REME). On Roddis CSM and TSM are one and the same. Both are seen used. In No 3 Cdo they called all lowest ranks, ie. Pte's Gnrs etc as Troopers. However on records they are often listed as per their Regimental record. Medal awards will be added in due course to all on the M-R section and the S-Z section (partially completed). All others have been done.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 11/01/2016 17:24:16

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Brilliant help thanks to all.....

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

GUY
Forum Member

A-C Missing Names and typos

BARKER Alfred
BASS Keith James
BEDDOW should be Beddows
BIRMINGHAM Christopher
BOWYER G
BRIAND Gaston
BROADMAN Geoff typo
BRUYNE Ron
BURTON RR
CHALMER should be Chalmers
CROXTON Michael J

Guy

^Pete R... All the above now dealt with. Those missing had been added after Graham had sent me his list, as with most of those from Mark above. Ron Bruyne is actually listed correctly as Ron de Bruyne in the D section where all those with De before their surname are found.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/01/2016 18:39:00

Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Firstly, thanks to everyone involved for their efforts.

My dads name seems to be missing from the list as well. I have copied and pasted his info from # 2 Nominal rolls

MILLER VICTOR 5835397 R NORFOLK REGT,

# 2 Commando #3 Troop his rank was GNR. He went by V.W. Miller when signing his name but everyone called him Dusty

Died November 8, 2002 aged 78

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger