commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Major James Dunning, No 4 Commando, CBTC and CMWTC  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It is with much sadness that we advise you of the death on Saturday 14th August 2015 of Major James Dunning, who served in No 4 Commando and also at the Commando Basic Training Centre, and the Commando Mountain Warfare Training Centre. 'Jimmy', aged 95, who was a founder member of the CVA and a renowned author of many notable books on the Commandos and their training, died after a fall.

Rest in peace Jimmy.
[Thumb - Jimmy Dunning.jpg]
 Filename Jimmy Dunning.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Major James Dunning
 Filesize 149 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  606 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/12/2015 14:21:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Very sad to hear of Jimmy's passing.
May he Rest in Eternal Peace.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

I, too, am so very sad. I knew Jimmy well for quite a number of years. He was the most gentle, modest and kindly soul. My late uncle, who served with him in 4 Cdo, described him as the only gentleman in their troop! We all owe a huge debt to him for the books that he wrote; likewise, his contributions to a number of TV programmes about the Commandos. I still have a note that he wrote to me after travelling with Jane to Achnacarry - at the age of 92 - to help with the making of a programme by BBC Scotland. (It went out in January 2012.) We shall not see his like again.
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Such very sad news. Eric Buckmaster had put him in touch with Bob and he kindly sent me an inscribed copy of his "When Shall Their Glory Fade" and lovely note. He was such a kind man and will be missed. My love and condolences to his family and friends.

Janet
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

From the announcement of his death in the Daily Telegraph:
"Soldier, schoolteacher, and writer, he led a full, varied, and rewarding life to the end. Very much loved and loving husband of Jane for more than 58 years: beloved and and hugely respected father of Morag, Graham, and Sara; proud and adored grandfather of Andrew, Lucinda, William, Thomas, Joe, Zoe, Sam, and Sophie, and great grandad to James and George. He will be missed terribly by Jane, the whole family, and his many friends in Romsey and elsewhere. A family cremation will be followed by a service of thanksgiving, the details of which will be announced later. No flowers please but donations to Help for Heroes, c/o A.H. Cheater Ltd., Funeral Directors, 122 The Hundred, Romsey, SO52 8BY (tel. 01794 513393)"

Our thoughts are with his wife Jane and all the family at this sad time.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

RIP Major Dunning.
My condolences to all his family and friends.

John Mewett

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

For all you gave us Major Dunning we give you thanks.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all the family.

God bless.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Such sad news RIP I have a signed copy of his book iT HAD tO BE tOUGH

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Jimmy was always ready to provide help when I was trying to get to grips with the history of the Commandos and their training at Achnacarry. Always friendly, and enthusiastic, I used to thoroughly enjoy our chats on the phone reminiscing about the Commandos. My thanks to John Martin for pointing out that there is an obituary today in the Daily Telegraph obituary. Follow this link to read it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/11810760/Major-James-Dunning-obituary.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/08/2015 10:11:37

[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

It seemed appropriate on the 73rd anniversary of Operation Cauldron, and just four days after Jimmy's sad death, to look back at Will Fowler's book "The Commandos at Dieppe: Rehearsal for D-Day". These brief extracts are from the foreword, in which the author separately acknowledges the advice and guidance that he received throughout from Jimmy.

"In a television programme about the attack on Dieppe, Pat Porteous VC, standing on the site of a German coastal battery, described how the Troop Sergeant Major (TSM) of C Troop No 4 Commando with a 2-inch mortar crew had landed HE bombs with great accuracy on the position. One had hit stored ammunition and triggered a huge secondary explosion effectively destroying the battery."

"Some years later, at a military dining club, I discovered that one of the members had been an Army Commando in World War II."

"It was only later that I realised that Jimmy Dunning had been the young TSM commanding the 2-inch mortar crew at Dieppe. With characteristic modesty he explained that he had little part in the success which was the result of hard training by the mortar crew of Privates Dale and Horne."

That was typical of the modesty that marked Jimmy out during the whole of his life.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/08/2015 14:13:18

Peter Cooper
Forum Member

My father always spoke very highly of Jimmy Dunning and remembered him with great affection.
RIP jimmy.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was very much saddened to read of this today. I had the honour of speaking to Major Dunning twice over the last few months to ask for his help in researching the Hardelot raid. I was very nervous the first time I spoke to him, but he put me at ease - 'call me Jimmy' he said.

He was an absolute gentleman and couldn't be more helpful. I forwarded him photographs of the participants and he returned them a couple of weeks later full of written anecdotes and identifying the men, something I had no hope of doing without his help. He was such a nice chap - I just wish I had had the opportunity of meeting him when he kindly offered. I never had the opportunity to shake his hand.

Farewell Jimmy. Best wishes to all of his family and friends.

RIP.
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Whilst the funeral is to be family and invited friends only, there will be a memorial service for Major Dunning on Friday 6th November 2015 at 2pm at Romsey Abbey. If attending please confirm the details nearer the time with the Funeral Directors or Romsey Abbey.
The family have requested that instead of flowers, those wishing to, can send a donation to Help for Heroes via the Funeral Directors whose details are below.
Cash or cheques made payable to Help for Heroes and endorsed on the reverse with his name - Major James Dunning.

A.H. Cheater Ltd., Funeral Directors
122, The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO518BY
Tel: 01794 513393

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/09/2015 14:01:06

[Email]
Jacqueline Foster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

All the wonderful men are leaving us to be together once more.
Rest easy Major Dunning and thank you.

Treasured are the years
Spent with thee
Sweet thy memory...
(Isabella Robertson Notman)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This is just to confirm the arrangements for the Service for Major Dunning to which all are invited:

Romsey Abbey,
Romsey, Hampshire
at 2pm on Friday 6th November 2015,

[Thumb - Jimmy Dunning 1992.jpg]
 Filename Jimmy Dunning 1992.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Photo courtesy of his son Graham Dunning QC
 Filesize 387 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  620 time(s)

[Thumb - TSM Jimmy Dunning.jpg]
 Filename TSM Jimmy Dunning.jpg [Disk] Download
 Filesize 255 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  619 time(s)

[Thumb - Jimmy Dunning at Wesminster Abbey.jpg]
 Filename Jimmy Dunning at Wesminster Abbey.jpg [Disk] Download
 Filesize 315 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  579 time(s)

[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger