commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Joe Ewen possible No1 Commando member  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi all

I have recently been contacted by some one who is looking for information concerning his father in laws possible Commando service. I have attached a copy of his original email:

Hello Andy.

My name is Allan Chamberlain (former N/S Cpl., Royal Signals, 1959 - 1961)
I am trying to get information about my wife Lyndsay's father Joe Ewen, a Liverpulian, who, my wife recalls, always stated that his army wartime (WW2) history included 'number 1 Commando, number 3 volunteer', which he would relate to her when she was a very young girl.
Which suggests he may well have been only the third man to join this esteemed group at their very inception.
Can you help?
Lyndsay is 'sure' her dad fought at both Dieppe and St Nazaire, and finished his war in Burma as a Sgt or maybe S/sgt. He stayed with No. 1 through the hostilities and was never among the captured. He survived the war, dying at home in Fareham, in 1986.
I hope that, if you can't help, you could point me in a direction that might.
Much obliged,

AllanC

I have already advised him to apply for a copy of his father in law's Army records and to examine the various photo galleries for each Commando unit.
The message states that Joe may have taken part in both the Dieppe and St Nazaire operations, obviously some members of No1 did take part in St Nazaire however I didn't think that any members of this unit took part in Dieppe. I think there was some mention of certificates being available for those who took part at Dieppe if so do any lists exist of the names of those who did take part in this operation.

Any other advice or avenues of research would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Andy

Our No 1 Cdo nominal roll as a TSM Joe Ewen listed.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/node/1336

I think he's sounds like your man.

Regs

John M

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/07/2015 14:13:26

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi Andy and Allan,

A Joe Ewen appears in the CVA nominal roll for 1 Cdo,his rank is given as Troop Sergeant Major (TSM).

I have found a further reference to him in the CVA newsletter no 26,dated March 1958 within the General news section ,this reads as follows:

"The 12/13 Parachute( Yorks & Lancs ) Bn,TA is certainly blessed with the right material. OC is Major (now Lt Colonel) Gordon Pollard MC,MM,TD.(3 Cdo). 2nd i/c Capt. David Style mc. (4 Cdo),and also on the strength are Capt Donald Glass
(4 Cdo) and CSM Joe Ewen (1 Cdo)

Trust this helps.

Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

CVA Gallery has entries here which may be of interest:

No 1 Cdo Warrant Officers and Sgts 1945

and here he was a Sgt in 5 troop:

No 1 Commando - 5 Troop - prior to Hill 170.

Finally as TSM of 3 troop No 1 Commando as can be seen here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/1+cdo+nom+role/1+cdo+names/T1A.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There is a nominal roll for No 4 Commando who took part in the Dieppe raid but none as far as I am aware for the other, ie. No 3 Commando.

The St Nazaire Society have a list of the men who took part on the St Nazaire raid which is felt now to be the most accurate. As you will see there was a LCpl. George Ewens from No 2 Commando on the raid: The Charioteers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

Some excellent replies, the nominal roll for 5 Troop prior to Hill 170 also includes my father's name, I actually checked this list out and failed to spot Joe's name when I first received the message from Allan!
I guess Joe must have known my father as they were both from Liverpool.

Thanks for all the replies

Ps Pete sorry for the delay but I will post out the memory stick containing the Jungle books to you either tomorrow or Saturday.

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger