commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Snow at Spean Bridge in June  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Snow still on the mountains this Sunday, the walled memorial area looked impressive, well kept and no rubbish or litter could be seen(photos taken).
There was also a Commando exhibition at Fort William Visitors Centre, all in all a very good display, I learnt from one of the letters displayed that 1 Commando marched from Irvine to Fort William in fifteen days, (no wonder that my father had bowed legs in later life). Still not convinced 100% that the photo of my father climbing in Glen Coe was taken as suggested by the Mountain Rescue in the 'Lost Valley', main reasons being-
1, Why navigate a good mile and a half to the 'Lost Valley' when plenty of good climbing slabs were available just off road, especially after trucking from Irvine?
2, The topography (scree to the right of the 'Bouldering Rock' and the shear face) as pictured in the 'Lost Valley' to my mind is not similar to photo, and having stopped in many of the laybys on the return journey from Glen Coe there seems many plausible slabs just off road. Just an observation on my behalf?
[Thumb - 61089.jpg]
 Filename 61089.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 55 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  334 time(s)

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger