commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Cap Badge?  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Does anyone have any idea what No 5 Cmdo used as a badge in their berets?
I have my dad's medals(genuine), a No 5 shoulder flash (smells old), a Combined Ops ensignia (smells new) a 2nd issue F/S dagger and the King's Royal Rifle Corps hat badge but would like a No 5 cap badge to finish off the display...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 28/04/2007 08:20:53

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Nic

To my knowledge No 5 Cdo did not have a unique badge but did the same as all other Cdo units without one. They wore their own Regiments cap badge on their green beret. Most of the WW2 vetereans today still do. My dads green beret has the badge of the Middlesex Regt on it which was his original Regt.

Hope this helps
Good luck
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Anonymous

John,
Thanks for that - that would explain why I couldn't remember any cap badge, other than the KRRC's, amongst my dad's bits and bobs.
It would also explain why I've never seen a No 5 cap badge on ebay etc...

Regards,
Nick
Anonymous

Ayup Nic
I have photos of my dad with his green beret plus the Lincolnshire Regt badge on it. But the pic to the left which I have had enlarged and framed he has the crossed daggers patch of No5 on it! which i believe there were two patterns of. I also have quite a few pics of him wearing a bush hat in Burma. Would that ve had a badge on like the aussies had on theirs?
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello NIC,
As far as I know there was no No5. Cap badge. they continued to wear the badge of the regiment they joined the Commando's from. There was a 5 Commando badge which was/is 2 stilleto's crossed at the handles to form a V, then the Roman numeral V or 5 was placed between the 2 blades, this was normally on the usual dark green background with the knives and the numeral stitched in gold. Hope this is correct, it will soon be put right if not you can rely on that. All the best.
Ron
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Stephen and Ron,
Thanks for your answers guys but now I'm even more confused - Stephen I've seen the badge you've mounted with your dad's photo and it's as Ron describes but isn't that the ensignia for the V Force and not No 5?

I thought the V Force were units made up from British Officers [actually plantation managers and the like - with local knowledge - rather than Military Officers] and 'local' O/Rs for the purpose of guerilla and intelligence gathering activities etc?

Regards,
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/04/2007 19:08:00

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Anonymous wrote:Ayup Nic
I have photos of my dad with his green beret plus the Lincolnshire Regt badge on it. But the pic to the left which I have had enlarged and framed he has the crossed daggers patch of No5 on it! which i believe there were two patterns of. I also have quite a few pics of him wearing a bush hat in Burma. Would that ve had a badge on like the aussies had on theirs?

Stephen,
So does the crossed daggers badge on the photo have a Roman numeral 'V' on it, or the figure 5?
On the photos with the slouch hats, can the badges be seen clearly?
Any chance you could post more photos?
Regards,
Nick
[Email]
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello NIC
The V Force badge is very similar, the difference being it is a cap badge, the knives are crossed in the same way but the V is lower down and actually sits across the 2 handles just below the hand gaurds, the badge I have is of black metal, I dont know if this an original or a replica. I think also the V Force were made up from local people to carry out geurilla actions, once again hope this is of some help.
Regards Ron
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Im actually confused now about the crossed daggers patch
I have a book called Special Forces Insignia which shows the badge and says V Force (Far east) Theres 2 issues,, the first one is 2 daggers and a V. The 2nd issue is a better designed crossed daggers and a V . On my dad's beret is the first issue patch Its hard to see but you can see it
I also have a booklet called Men At War - 1914- 1945 - Army Commandos. Theres illustrations of soldiers from every Commando unit. For No5 Commando theres a sergeant of a kilted Commando at St Nazaire.( there were some No5 involved in the raid) The crossed daggers with a V is clearly sewn on his arm
I will read up more about V Force . Theres a good book called Raiders Of The Arakan that mentions No5 and V Force
My dad also has one those hackles ( is that they are called ?) in his beret But thats the only pic where he has one on

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hockhamlain wrote:Hello NIC
The V Force badge is very similar, the difference being it is a cap badge, the knives are crossed in the same way but the V is lower down and actually sits across the 2 handles just below the hand gaurds, the badge I have is of black metal, I dont know if this an original or a replica. I think also the V Force were made up from local people to carry out geurilla actions, once again hope this is of some help.
Regards Ron

okay so this is actually No 5?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 29/04/2007 15:34:23

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

... and this one is obviously the V Force cap badge - because it says so :wink:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/05/2007 06:56:08

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Stephen Donnison wrote:Im actually confused now about the crossed daggers patch

I also have a booklet called Men At War - 1914- 1945 - Army Commandos. Theres illustrations of soldiers from every Commando unit. For No5 Commando theres a sergeant of a kilted Commando at St Nazaire.( there were some No5 involved in the raid) The crossed daggers with a V is clearly sewn on his arm

Stephen,
You reminded me that I had that booklet too - but it has only served to confuse me more!

The drawing of the Sgt shows the 'V and crossed dagger' patch on his left arm - whereas the photo showing my dad's left arm doesn't have the patch - just the shoulder title and the Combined Ops badge!
Was the 'V and crossed daggers' replaced by the Combined Ops?

Sorry for all these questions and for any confusion, but this issue has had me perplexed for quite sometime and now I've got an opportunity - through you guys and this website - to try to resolve these puzzles.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/04/2007 21:46:15

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Oh and while I think of it, why are some shoulder titles No 5 Commando (red on black) whilst others are V Commando (gold/yellow on green)!

Confused,
Nick

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 29/04/2007 15:43:54

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That drawing of the sergeant in that booklet must be a mistake Surely he wouldnt have had the 2nd issue of the badge in early 1942 at St Nazaire?
Gosh , I wish my ol man was here to explain why he has the 1st issue patch sewn on his beret on that pic, when in others hes got the Lincolns on it

SE Donnison
[MSN]
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello NIC
These shoulder titles are proving to be a bit of a poser. I was told by an old No5. Vet, that the really early shoulder badges for No5. were in fact the V. Commando, Gold stitch on a dark green background, and were later changed to the numeral 5 Commando in red stitch on a dark blue or maybe black background, I have trouble with telling dark blue from black!
I was also told that the combined ops badge was later dropped, in favour of the fighting knife badge, so they would have worn their shoulder badges with the fighting knife badge underneath, we will find out I,m sure.
Regards Ron

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger