commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sgt. George Jenkins Force 399  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
ViA
Forum Member

Hi Folks
I am researching for info photos and family members of gentlemen that served with my grandfather Sgt. George Jenkins Force 399.
He served with Julian Amery (book Sons of eagles) Major D. de C. Smiley.
Others books with reference to my Grandfather are Peter Kemps No Colour or Crest.
The only mention I can find is from the NAtional Archives document WO 373/46 detailing immediate award of the military medal for helping blow up the Gjoles bridge in Albania 21st June 1944.
Aswell as this mission I know there many exciting more because he used to reinact the missions for me when my Nana was away.
Particular interest regarding the killing machine knife that he brought home with him.
i have seen it and handled it with absolute care but is currently missing in Nanas house.
it possibly was specially made for the Albanian campaign. featured knuckle duster and hand protector below that was a deep surration and then a long thick blade20cm, silver in colour- possibly alloy
Any info would be immensely appreciated
Regards
Paul Jeavons
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Via
I cant offer you any help with your search apart from some information relating to the knife. I think what you have is the Middle East Issue Knuckle knife. There were 2 types issued, BC41 having a cast steel hilt with the stamp BC 41 which is thought to relate to "British Commando 1941" with 4 fingure stalls and a single edged blade, issued approx 1941, a very limited edition therefore very rare, hang on to it. This knife was later replaced by the more familiar F/S Fighting Knife
The second knife was issued to members of 50, 51, and 52 Middle East Commando between 1940-42, featuring a brass hilt and 2 fingure stalls with four sharp projectiond on the top of the handle, also known as the "Deaths Head Knife" as the silouette resembles a skull. You can find further information from The Fighting Knives Book by Alan Locken.
Regards Ron
ViA
Forum Member

Hello
Running late for work but excited by your info.
Sounds like BC41
Will look for recommended book
Cheers and Regards
Paul
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here's some knives to browse over...

http://www.militaryfightingknives.com/collection.html

http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/fs.htm

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/08/2008 22:04:33

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
ViA
Forum Member

Wow
Thanks so much for the links.
Some amazing pieces of work and great history too.
Unfortunately, I havent found my Grandfathers knife.
Some were similiar handles but with different blades and vice versa.
A distinctive and seemingly rare feature of Grandads knuckle knife is the serrated edge below the guard and on what is referred to as the ricasso
Cheers
Paul
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Other SOE Force 399 references in National Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/browser.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=7963&GPE=False&DOWN=FALSE&MARKER=43000&MARKERSCN=&j=1

Nick Collins,

[Email]
ViA
Forum Member

Hi
Thankyou for the link.
I found it quite difficult to navigate through.
A preview of documents would be good to ensure what you are paying for is of relevance.
Purchased 1 secret doc ordering immediate MM to be issued to my Grandfather whilst still active.
Cheers
Dave Jenkins
Forum Member

Hi there,

I'm new to the site. I'm hoping that the original poster Paul Jeavons is still on the forum as I have details relating to Sgt George Jenkins.

Sgt Jenkins was my Fathers uncle. My Father is still alive and has various pictures citations etc etc to share with you. It is the same Sgt George Jenkins, Force 399 & Force 136.

We have also been in contact with his wife in Liverpool, my place of birth actually and in the same district of Liverpool - Toxteth [Liverpool 8]

I also knew a gentleman by the name of Reginald Henny (Now deceased - name ring a bell?) who new him too so lots of information to pass on.

So, hopefully Paul is still on here.

Cheers for now

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/08/2011 15:18:21

Dave Jenkins
Forum Member

That should read Liverpool (L eight) not Liverpool with a smiley face!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 02/08/2011 15:20:16

ViA
Forum Member

Gday Dave.
PM sent. Talk soon
Cheers
Paul

PS NOTE TO MODERATORS
Thanks to this forum I have connected with a family member who can help with research on my Grandfather, Thank you folk.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Paul & Dave,

ViA wrote:

PS NOTE TO MODERATORS
Thanks to this forum I have connected with a family member who can help with research on my Grandfather, Thank you folk.

That's great news Paul and thank you for vote of thanks - it really is appreciated.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
ViA
Forum Member

Dave Jenkins wrote:Hi there,

I'm new to the site. I'm hoping that the original poster Paul Jeavons is still on the forum as I have details relating to Sgt George Jenkins.

Sgt Jenkins was my Fathers uncle. My Father is still alive and has various pictures citations etc etc to share with you. It is the same Sgt George Jenkins, Force 399 & Force 136.

We have also been in contact with his wife in Liverpool, my place of birth actually and in the same district of Liverpool - Toxteth [Liverpool 8]

I also knew a gentleman by the name of Reginald Henny (Now deceased - name ring a bell?) who new him too so lots of information to pass on.

So, hopefully Paul is still on here.

Cheers for now

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger