commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
10 IA Cdo Roll of Honour  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Pete,

Looking at the 10 IA Cdo R o H,can I make the following observations.

1 I believe Pte K.W Wakefield should read:

Kurt Wilhelm GUMPERTZ, who served as 5550144 Lcpl. Kenneth Wakefield GRAHAM,of the R. Hampshire Regt,he died
12-6-44. this is confirmed in the CWGC,the Alrewas Panels and the Westminster RoH.

2 Cpl.G.M. Franklin should read:

Guenter Max FRANK, who served as 6387027.Cpl. George Mack FRANKLYN ( note different spelling- from CWGC )of the
Royal West Kent Regt,he died 6-6-44.

Can the following be considered for inclusion :

Georg Alexander BARTH,who served as 6436371 Sgt. George Bryan STREET/S, OF THE R.Sussex Regt , died in RTA as Officer Cadet 29-6-44

Frederick FLEISCHER,who served as 13051439 Pte.Frederick FLETCHER of the Worcestershire Regt,died 11-6-44.

The bottom two entries can be confirmed by at least the CWGC

Many thanks,

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

The details of LCpl Gumpertz and Cpl Frank updated on the existing entries on the 3 troop ROH.

The details of Pte. Fleischer updated on the existing entry on the No 6 Commando ROH. He was attached to No 6 Cdo.

Barth is not listed as a Commando on the CWGC. Do you have details to the contrary ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Pete,

6436371.Sgt STREET/S . G . B. is mentioned in both the Westminster RoH,and DEFE 2 / 843.,both show unit as 10 IA Cdo.

Trust this helps.

Graham

[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Pete,

Sorry to be a real pain,but I meant to ask earlier,do you have any more information on Cpl R Duffy who is mentioned on the roll,can find no trace,any ideas.

Thanks again

Graham.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

Click on this link to see the entry for Private Robert Duffy of No 10 Commando.

I have now revised the 3 troop Roll of Honour which can be viewed HERE

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/06/2015 12:28:41

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

H Pete,

Thanks again for your speedy reply.

When I mentioned I could find no trace of Cpl R Duffy ,I was referring to his alias,I suspect now that he was British and not from an axis country.

Can you confirm this please ?

Graham

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

I cannot confirm further details of Private Robert Duffy other than what is listed on the CWGC.

Pete

[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Pete,

Think I may of found a possible answer regarding Robert Duffy,while rooting through various books.

"Private Duffy ( East Lancs ),who was batman to Capt J.G Coates,was killed when his parachute failed to open.Coates suggested that at 36 years of age Duffy should not have be jumping.".This is a direct quote from the book "Commandos in Exile , by Nick Van Der Bijl, page 28.

From this I looked up 10 IA Cdo war diary W0 218 / 56 which covers August 1943,here are the entries:

August 2 1943 - Capt J.G.Coates,Pte Duffy and Pte Harrison from HQ No 10 (IA)Cdo proceeded to Ringway for parachute
training.
August 12,1943 - Pte Duffy East Lancs was killed at Ringway.

His serial no is that of the General Service Corp,which makes me think he was British and served in a support role within 10 IA Cdo.

Interestingly, 3 different source,have 3 different dates for his death,

Book Commandos in Exile shows date as 2 August 1943
CWGC shows date 11 August 1943
10 IA Cdo war diary shows date as 12 August 1943

Graham

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger