commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
10 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
vicaboudara
Forum Member

Is there a list of names for 10 Commando?

Also, is there a list of the 400 names who received the 1st Battalion Fusiliers Marins Commando badge? These were numbered from 1-400.

Thanks,

Vic
Noel Rabouhans
Forum Member

I am not sure if a complete list of Commando Kieffer badge numbers exists, but Benjamin Massieu's website gives many of them.

http://fr.commando-kieffer.wikia.com/wiki/Utilisateur:Benjamin_Massieu

Noel Rabouhans
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Vic,

As with all Commando Units, No.10 (IA) comprised of a number of Troops - are you interested in any particular troop?
Nos 1 & 8 Troops - French
No 2 Troop - Dutch
No 3 Troop - Refugees from Axis countries (also known as "X Troop")
No 4 Troop - Belgian
No 5 Troop - Norwegian
No 6 Troop - Polish
No 7 Troop - Yugoslavian

Presumably, from your second question, you're mainly interested in the French Troops?

Graham Cooper has compiled a list of French Commandos which I'll be uploading to the Document Section this month.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We have a nominal roll for No 10 Inter Allied Commando here:

Nominal Roll 10IA Cdo

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
vicaboudara
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies.

My father, who was French, was in 10 Commando and one of the boatmen on Hardtack 7. I have a number of items from him including:

? Old Comrades Association of the Army Commandos membership book and matching lapel badge (no 2676)
? Bronze 1er Bataillon de Fusiliers Marins Commandos badge. The handwritten number on the rear is difficult to make out but I think it's 132
? A number of photos of him in uniform, some with a beret bearing the Free French logo

In April he was awarded the knight of the national order of the Legion d'honneur medal. Unfortunately he died 3 weeks before we received the letter from the French Ministry of Defence.

His army name was Jacques Gay.

I'd like to get him acknowledged on this website.

Thanks,

Vic
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Vic,
We will certainly include your father on the Nominal Roll of French Commandos which I previously said would be uploaded this month.

Graham Cooper has just contacted me with the good news that he followed the link provided by Noel Rabouhans and has found more names to add to the Nominal Roll - therefore the upload will take a little longer than previously stated.

Even better news is that I can definitely confirm that the number of your father's cap badge was 132 as you thought...

And yes there is a list of the 400 badge serial numbers

Handwritten copy of the list of No. 4 Commando with the redistribution patterns of new badges and numbers. Most badges were not lost but distributed to girls in bars, it was necessary that boys will be boys, because at that time it was often ephemeral .....

http://commandokieffer.canalblog.com/archives/2008/04/16/11241860.html

You said that you have photos of your father in uniform - if you view our Gallery you will find many photos of your father's commando friends and colleagues - we would be honoured to reunite your father with his brother-in-arms

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/10IA/French/

Regards,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Obituaries updated:

Jacques ABOUDARA (aka Jacques GAY) (No 10IA Cdo) died 5th April 2015 aged 95

Email message received from, and replied to, Vic re images mentioned in previous messages.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/06/2015 15:49:03

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger