commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No 2 Commando Roll of Honour  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hello All,

While updating my ROH from the CVA Roll of Honour I have noticed the following:

Capt J.R Stewart,shown on CWGC as The Parachute Regiment. A.A.C. ,
1st Bn (formerly 8th Bn The kings Regt.(Liverpool)),and No 2 Commando.

The Alrewas memorial panel shows the same detail plus the following KIA ,North Africa with 1 Para.

On checking the Paradata site they cite that Capt J.R.C.Stewart was 2i/c R company 1 Parachute Regiment,

Can his link with the commandos at time of death be confirmed

Sgt. J.S.Dickinson,he is shown both on CWGC site and CVA nominal rolls as 9 Cdo,is this correct.

Lsgt.R.Bradley,shown on Alrewas Memorial as Sgt E Bradley,as well on CWGC

Regards

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Graham,

3389716 Sgt J. Dickinson, East Lancs Regt, is listed twice in War Diaries - WO361/861 - '9 Commandos Italy'.

Both entries have his number as 3889716; one entry has the spelling 'Dickenson' and the other has 'Dickinson'.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/06/2015 23:36:57

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

Ref Captain Stewart..the ParaData site show him as in the original No 2 Para Commando before it became 11 SAS Bn and then 1st Para, AAC. This is why his name would be on the Alrewas memorial which lists those with a Commando history, but do not know why it is on the CVA website ROH which is for those who died whilst still attached to the Commandos. However as it is there I will leave it there now.

http://www.paradata.org.uk/people/john-r-c-stewart

Lsgt.R.Bradley,shown on Alrewas Memorial as Sgt E Bradley,as well on CWGC

With regards to Bradley can you give me the CWGC link to E Bradley which I cannot find. The Westminster Abbey Commando Roll of Honour has a Sgt E. Bradley, Kngs Regt. attached to No 2 Commando died UK on the 1st December 1940. If this is correct he would have again been with No 2 Para Commando renamed 11 SAS Bn.

There was a L/Sgt R Bradley MM in No 2 Commando ( see our gallery entry for him). He was shot in the chest at St Nazaire and this is where the confusion may be. He survived the war

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/06/2015 22:04:34

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hello Pete,

Thanks for your reply,

Regarding Lsgt R Bradley, as shown on the 2 Commando Roll of Honour.

I cannot find any further information regarding Lsgt R Bradley,do you have any other details about this man.

On the Alrewas Memorial Panel is a 3770135 Sgt E (Eric) Bradley of the Kings Regt of 2 Cdo who died while training in the UK on the 1-12-1940. You have mentioned that the date of his death,could mean that he was 2 Para Cdo / 11 SAS Bn,do you have any evidence of this.

On checking the ParaData website I can find no reference of his death either in the 2 Para Cdo Roll of Honour or in the general memoriam section.

Sgt E Bradley is also named in The National Archives file Defe 2 / 843, titled Commando Casualties, this file was created by the Secretary of the Commando Association and shows No,Rank and name along with his Regt and serving with 2 Commando.

Many thanks

Regards

Graham

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

From the CWGC:
Service No:3770135
Date of Death:01/12/1940
Regiment/Service:The King's Regiment (Liverpool) 9th Bn.
Grave Reference: Grave 14.
Cemetery:URMSTON CEMETERYAdditional Information:Additional Information:Son of Vivian and Marion Bradley, of Princes Park, Liverpool.

From the Westminster Abbey Commando Roll of Honour:
Bradley, E. Sgt King's Regiment 2Cdo died 01-Dec-40 UK 81

I am not sure if you are aware or not of the contents of the Westminster Abbey Commando Roll of Honour, or even if you have the excel file with all the names? However when it was created, it was acknowledged by the authors that there were likely to be errors or omissions. I can only imagine that this is the NA document you refer to, Defe 2 / 843, titled Commando Casualties.

Col Newman VC raised a new No 2 Commando in Feb 1941 after the original No 2 (Para) Commando was redesignated 11 SAS Bn and was thus no longer officially a Commando Unit. Hence if Sgt E Bradley died in December 1940, and the Westminster Abbey Commando ROH is correct, he must have been at some stage part of the original No 2.

Confusing I know, but the fact that the relatively new, but excellent, Paradata site does not list him, may simply mean they haven't found him yet. The only real solution would be to refer to his Service Record for the detail.

I have checked the CWGC database and there is no R. Bradley shown as attached to the Commandos. As such our own CVA ROH appears to have him listed erroneously. There is no R. Bradley shown on the Westminster Abbey Commando Roll of Honour. Here is a link to L/Sgt R. Bradley of No 2 Commando who was shot in the chest at St Nazaire but recovered from his injuries

As the Westminster Abbey Commando ROH has Sgt E Bradley listed I will amend our own ROH to reflect that.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hello Pete,

Many thanks for your speedy and considered reply.

I am aware of the Westminster Abbey Commando Roll of Honour,but not aware that it is available in excel ,could you please supply details of this file ,so as you said see if it is the same as Defe 2/843.

I have a few more queries regarding the 2 Cdo Roll of Honour.
For correction
Capt.E.R.WAKEFIELD - he is shown on CWGC as 138709. Capt Edward Roger Wakefield, died 3-6-44,his regt is given
as the General List,and served with the S.S. Bde and is buried in Belgrade War Cemetery.
The Alrewas panels show him as serving with 2 S.S. Bde
Defe 2 / 843 shows his regt as the R.A,and serving with 2 Cdo Bde.
If this is the case can / should his name be moved to the Special Service ( Commando ) Brigade
Roll of Honour
For correction
TSM M. SMITH I could find no reference to a TSM M.Smith,but did find 2657063 Sgt Miller Smith of the
Coldstream Guards who died 23-10-42.The Alrewas panel show that a TSM.M.Smith was
executed while captured on Op Musketoon.
The CVA article on Op Musketoon shows a picture of Sgt Miller Smith.
Reading the CVA article Bob Bishop refers to his rank as TSM.
Consideration to be added
Lt B.A.J O'MEARA Can Lt Barry Aden Joseph O'MEARA ,5 Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards,be added,he is shown
on the Alrewas panel as 2 Cdo,the CWGC makes no mention of the commando,have checked the
2 Cdo war diary,WO 218/82,which has the following entries
7th March 45 at GRATTACOPPA, at 0120 hrs Lt O'MEARA reported wounded by mine
0400 hrs Lt O'MEARA body reported at GR 477488 - all
traces of ID removed by Major Peters.
Consideration to be added
Lbdr W.H.A.CHUDLEY 882221,Lbdr William Henry Albert CHUDLEY,was a member of Op Musketoon who died
23-10-42.

Consideration to be added Alrewas panel shows 6349577,Lsgt S. BRAMPTON.QRWK / 2 Cdo, KIA ITALY 28-2-43
CWGC shows 6349577 Sgt Stephen Dorcas BAMPTON,QRWK / no reference to Cdo.
DEFE 2/ 843 shows 6349577 Lsgt S Brampton 2Cdo.

With Lsgt BAMPTON/BRAMPTON will be interested to get confirmation of his correct name ,let alone is he or is he not a commando at the time of his death.

Many thanks

Regards
Graham

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

Repliy as follows:

1. Capt ER Wakefield moved to 2 SS Bde ROH;

2. TSM Miller Smith shown as Sgt in line with all others shown with war substantive ranks on the ROH, and with our gallery entries. I am satisfied however he held the rank, be it temporarily, of TSM (or CSM) on the raid. I have even seen him referred to in transcripts of the Nuremburg War Trials as Sgt Major as well as in unofficial sources.

3. Lt. B.A.J. O'MEARA added to the No 2 Cdo ROH.

4. LSgt Chudley shown as LBdr in line with all others shown with war substantive ranks on the ROH, and with our gallery entries. Whilst the same as TSM Smith may apply I have nothing official to show this although he is referred to on monuments and in books with the rank. I have even seen him in transcripts of the Nuremburg War Trials referred to as Corporal. I have a handwritten note showing his rank as LBdr.

5. Sgt S.D. BAMPTON added to the No 2 Cdo ROH. There is additionally a transcript from a 2 Cdo diary where his death (Brampton rather than Bampton)
is mentioned on the 26th Feb. http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/d/19328-7/Diary+of+Victor+Miller+2+Cdo.pdf

I have a note of Bampton with the same service number as the above but different initials as being killed. The CWGC show no Brampton at that time. I have however added a marker to his name on the ROH

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger