commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
War Cemeteries - Ravenna  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Our thanks to Chris Sheehan for sending in photos of the Commando graves at Ravenna War Cemetery which I am now gradually adding to the War Graves gallery over the next few days. Here is a direct link to the album. The photos are the graves of those from 2 Commando Brigade ( Nos 2 & 9 Army Commandos and 40 & 43 RM Commandos) who are buried in this cemetery. The album can be viewed here: Ravenna War Cemetery

Chris's father, Rfn. Chris Sheehan was in No 2 Commando 1 troop and took part in the action at Lake Commachio. The graves bear the names of Commandos from his troop and others who were killed and buried there. Rfn. Sheehan was himself wounded during the action. You will note on the photos of the graves of those from No 2 Commando that Chris has placed his Father's green beret on each headstone. A nice touch.

We will remember them

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/05/2015 17:35:07

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I agree, Pete. Thanks Chris for putting your Father's green beret on the No. 2 headstones.

Janet
Di Robinson
Forum Member

Thanks for this Chris. It was very touching to see Ray Buckby's headstone as he and my Dad were good friends through basic training at Achnacarry and later in combat.

Regards
Di

Di Robinson

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger