commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No 3 Commando No 1 Troop informations please  XML
Forum Index » Tips on Research
Rob Rose
Forum Member

My father Sidney John Rose was in No 3 Commando No 1 Troop from January 1945 - 9 June 1945 and was posted overseas. I am trying to find exactly where he went during that time as I want to re-trace his steps through Europe. After June 1945 he was transferred to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. I would be extremely grateful if anyone can help with this. Also if anyone on here remembers him or a long shot - has any pictures
GUY
Forum Member

Hello Rob,
There is a photograph of 1 Troop taken in October 1945. Your Father may be in that photograph, I noticed a Commando with a Royal Warwickshire Regt. cap badge on the back row?

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/trp+photos/Lt+Angus+Ferguson+1Tp+3+Cdo+Oct+1945.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Regards
Guy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Rob there are two books that cover this period written by those who served:

Commando - Memoirs of a Fighting Commando by Brig. John Durnford Slater;

Fighting with the Commandos by Stan Scott

If you wished you could also visit the National Archives at Kew to read the War Diary of No 3 Cdo. It can be viewed by arrangement with the NA. You will need a reader?s ticket, arranged through the NA.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/05/2015 22:44:23

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Tips on Research
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger