commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Other Memorials at National Memorial Arboretum  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I thought you may be interested in a few more memorials at Alrewas.

The Armed Forces Memorial:

This first statue depicts two young service personnel helping a fallen comrade whose life is ebbing away; the single figure is pointing through an open doorway showing the way to a 'New Life'; whilst the stone mason is already to carve his name on the wall

The Burma Star Memorial:

The Sumatra Railway Memorial:

and finally, for now, the proposed site for The Combined Ops Memorial (this has an address for donations:

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick
More excellent photos, will definately be paying this site a visit in the very near future. I believe there is another memorial to the 1950's Malayan campaign, this would also be of interest to me as my father was on active service with the Royal Wech Fusiliers during this conflict. The RWF was his parent regiment while he was in the commandos and he reinlisted with them at the end of the war eventually retiring in 1963.
I am also a member of the Com Ops Mem web site and have made a donation to their memorial fund, however I am a bit embarrased to admit that I did not know that their memorial was going to be situated here as well!
Cheers Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/07/2008 00:14:44

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger