commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Col Hector Grant Taylor's Grave in Quetta Balochistan Pakistan  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Habib
Forum Member

I read with interest the book "At Close Quarters" by David Armstrong. I would like to correct one section regarding the grave of Col Grant Taylor.
It has been mentioned in the book that his grave at the Quetta Christian Cemetry had been damaged or destroyed by a mob in 2001 who were protesting against US invasion of Afghanistan.
Just to check I visited the Quetta Christian Cemetry on December 20, 2014, and with some help from a few friends and also from a old picture of the grave we managed to locate Col Grant Taylors grave which was quite intanct, undamaged and well preserved. I took a few pictures and I will be happy to share them if someone is interested.
I would be grateful if this correction could be made at least in the next edition of the book
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello and thank you for your message. In 2001 the media announced that damage had been done to some graves in the cemetery in an attack that took place and that some people who had tended to the graves over many years had been hurt in the attack. I understand some repairs were made and am glad to hear of your comments about this particular grave. We of course would be very grateful if you could send a photo of the grave of Colonel Hector Grant Taylor. I will of course pass on your comments and the photo to the author of the book I will also send you some details of the original media report in a private message.

Many thanks for your interest in this.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Private message sent

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
David A
Forum Member

Dear Habib

Oh that is excellent news. Fantastic!

As Pete correctly says the reports in the media and the reports from several people that had tried to find the grave, quite understandably, led them to assume that its was one of the graves that had been severely damaged.

It warms my heart that it is still there and is hopefully still being tended to. If my publisher is willing to "run with" another edition of the book then I will happily update it. I'm also keen to update more details on the CQB program which many readers have emailed me about.

I've attached some photos that were taken several years ago

Best

David
[Thumb - 11.jpg]
 Filename 11.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 561 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  722 time(s)

David A
Forum Member

Another...
[Thumb - 13.jpg]
 Filename 13.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 558 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  752 time(s)

Habib
Forum Member

Dear Pete and David
I am attaching a pic and will attach more later as I think the load is too much
Regards
Habib
[Thumb - DSC_4759[2].jpg]
 Filename DSC_4759[2].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 885 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  721 time(s)

Habib
Forum Member

A closeup on the writing
[Thumb - DSC_4762[1].jpg]
 Filename DSC_4762[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 573 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  726 time(s)

Habib
Forum Member

Dear Pete and David,
The caretaker that you have talked about has since passed away, and the new chowkidar (gate keeper) doesnt know anything about the family. If I get any clue regarding their location I would certainly like to meet them to know more about the happenings of Oct 2001.
My name is Habib Khan and I am Col Sultan's Son

Regards
Habib
[Thumb - DSC_4764[1].jpg]
 Filename DSC_4764[1].jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 892 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  693 time(s)

David A
Forum Member

Dear Habib

That is fantastic and I'm glad that the grave of the Colonel still remains. Joss talked about your family and Sultan at length during my communications with her.

Such good news. Please feel free to email me at: [email protected] if I can help in any way.

yours

David

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger