commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Photo Gallery Text?  XML
Forum Index » RM Commando Units 1946 to present day
Thomas (Bing) Crosbie
Forum Member

Is there any way of editing text in the photo gallery. I have just looked at the photo of "A" troop 40 Cdo. R.M. There are mistakes in the text. The photo was taken in St. Georges Barracks and not Imtarfa Barracks. I am also on the photo. Just above Sgts Major Haines, who we knew as "Bomb-Head Haines". He is the fierce looking man in the front row with the bristling moustache. (a big softie really) The officer commanding the troop was Captain Ronnie Hayes DFC. he earned his DFC flying one of the famous Stringbags against the Tirpitz during WW2. I have exactly the same photo on my computer. I can remember a lot of the names of course but at the age of 85 some of them I cannot remember. .....Thomas (Bing) Crosbie....
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Bing, I do like the nickname ! You can register on the gallery page (completely separate to the forum registration). Once your registration is approved you will receive a welcome email and you can then add a comment to any photo in the gallery. In addition you will also be able to add a photo to the Holding Album should you wish to do so.

Alternatively you can contact me by email with all the names and information, and I will do it on your behalf. My email address is below.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Thomas (Bing) Crosbie
Forum Member

Pete
Thanks for reply, I have now registered for the gallery site and will log on later and see if I can maybe add information. I may eventually be able to add photo's, but at the moment I am messing about with a new computer. So instead of using Microsoft Windows I am on a Mini-iMac. It will take a bit of getting used to. But it might sharpen up my thinking process too and stop my brain becoming addled. Tom (Bing)
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Tom,
A huge welcome to the website & forums.
Congratulations, too, on moving away from Microsoft and onto an iMac - wish I had your prowess with computers (I have just ordered a new PC but have chosen the cowards way out and stuck with Microsoft...

We look forward to hearing more from you and viewing your photos - I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in a couple of days...

Yours, Aye,

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/03/2015 16:28:03

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Thomas (Bing) Crosbie
Forum Member

Nick
Just had a little snicker to myself when I noticed your title "Forum Brigadier" ...Sorry! Tom
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Tom,
No need to apologise, I have to laugh at it myself - especially as I'm ex-RAF!

It's all to do with the amount of posts I've made over the years...
I have actually had a good clean-out and deleted some of my posts (because I can) - but still not enough to get reduced to Colonel again.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/03/2015 16:28:27

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Thomas (Bing) Crosbie
Forum Member

Pete. The way I am going you will have me doing Jankers next.
Thomas (Bing) Crosbie
Forum Member

Pete
I have added a few names and bit of history to the photo of "A" Troop, 40 Cdo., RM in the gallery.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Bing

Age is just a number, I had full confidence in you getting it all done:-) I will tidy the detail up later but I have now put numbers and rows in so can you check and make sure that I have got things right as it stands.

Can you email me as I have a query on one of the officer's you mentioned. Click on email below.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/03/2015 00:16:56

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks for the names and confirmation Bing. For information of others here is a direct link to the photo in our gallery:

40 Commando RM, 'A' Troop, July 1949

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 25/04/2021 13:25:19

[Email]

Forum Index » RM Commando Units 1946 to present day
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger