commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Memorial Plaques.  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

I have been trying for most of a year to get permission to add a small plaque to the Royal Navy Commando Memorial in Ardentinny, Scotland at the site of the former Training Base, HMS Armadillo.

The Plaque is 6x4 inches / 15x15cms and can be made of gun metal, brass or stainless steel and has four names and a badge on it.

I was informed by the local Council that the site was run by the Forestry people.

They in turn have informed me that although it is Forestry land I would need the Royal Navy's permission.

Every department I emailed came back with the reply SEP. Someone else's problem.

After an email to the UK Prime Minister I was finally contacted by the Royal Navy and the result was that they have no say in the matter and all is ok with them.

However, when I emailed the Forestry people in Ardentinny they said no! Completely opposite to the original reply.

Not to give up I contacted the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge as they have a Remembrance Garden for Plaques, Ashes and flowers.

They refused on the grounds that it is for Army Commandos only!

I then sent them a list of all the different unit of Army, Navy, Police and Air Force that had been trained as Commandos.

I am still waiting for their reply.

Not so much Red Tape as Rainbow Coloured.

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/03/2015 13:45:51

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Rick,
I was very concerned to read your post and especially your comment regarding the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge.

I have sent you a PM.

Have you considered having a plaque placed at the National Memorial Arborteum in Alrewas, Staffordshire?
It is a fantastic place and one of my favourite haunts - which I visits four or five times a year.
The CVA Memorial at the NMA is only for Army Commandos but Mike Colton of the Allied Special Forces Grove has set aside a garden within the Grove for Commandos.
If you are interested in this I can send you his details.

http://www.thenma.org.uk/

http://www.memorialgrove.org.uk/

Regards,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Whoever you spoke to at the Highland Council has made a mistake. The Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge is for all Commandos. The difference with this memorial to others is that there is a specific area of remembrance where plaques can be left. Permission is not required but persons placing plaques are asked to comply with guidelines agreed with all concerned groups and posted on the Council website. Those guidelines are also on our site and can be viewed here:

Guidelines on plaques and scattering of ashes at the Commando Memorial

The size of your plaque is consistent with these guidelines. If you do decide that you wish it placed here, contact me by email if I can be of any help. The CVA have lots of good contacts in the area as you can imagine, including members of the Council.

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/03/2015 17:38:50

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

Thank you all, Gentlemen!

It now feels like a big weight has been lifted.

As I said to Nick I will now have a good thinking session and decide what to do.

Regards
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Rick

I have confirmed with the Highland Council who manage the Spean Bridge site that the guidelines and information I placed above have not changed.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that.

It seems I now have a home for the Plaque.

I sent an email to double check on their requirements.

I will keep you posted.

Regards
[WWW]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi all,

I did say that I would keep you posted so here is the latest.

I was just about ready to pull the plug on the idea of getting a plaque made and sent over to the UK. A good friend, Tony, even offered to get the plaque made in England so as to get it on a Memorial.

Tonight, my Oz time, I received this email:

I know you have been all round the houses with your very simple request,
so if you send me the plaque I will ensure that it is fitted to the new
cairn monument at Ardentinny.

So shortly I will be sending an email to the chappie who sent it from the Forestry.

Regards
[WWW]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

Another update for you.

I have finished the design of the plaque and sent it to England via Email.

It's over to Tony Rodaway who is taking care of the next steps to get the plaque to the Engraver.

Regards
[WWW]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

Just had word from Tony Rodaway that the Plaque is a go!

" The unveiling of a Remembrance Plaque will be on the 6th June in Ardentinny Scotland where the Commando's were trained, in honour of all the R.N.Commando's and all Crew who sailed on the HMS PRINS ALBERT, a LANDING SHIP INFANTRY (S) and her crew, and naming R.N,Commandos Harry Smallman, and Ken Oakley and ship's crew
PO/ Robert Bull and Tony's uncle Seaman William (Billy) Rodaway. , who will all be Remembered with Honour, having all sailed over the bar after surviving the war"

Tony has promised video and still shots.

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/04/2015 09:44:14

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great news Rick, I'm so pleased that your perseverance paid off and that your wish to honour the RN Commandos at Ardentinny is going to happen.

Should you wish to place plaques etc. anywhere else in the UK (ie. The National Memorial Arboretum), my offer still stands and I'll be more than happy to help out.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your help, time and offer over what became a stressful few months.

Getting everything sorted has been a bit of a rush but we are not taking any chances that a change of mind will occur.

So far the Royal Navy, Scottish Highland Council and the UK Prime Minister along with the Ardentinny newspaper have all been contacted with the good news.

I did agonize some time about who was going to place it on the Memorial and I hope you understand that one of the names is Billy Rodaway who was Tony Rodaway's Uncle and a crew member of HMS Prins Albert, so it does mean a lot to him

So roll on the 6th. June which was a date deliberately chosen.

I now have only two major projects to go! One is under way to confirm and photograph the wreck of a sistership, HMS Prince Philippe and the trickier one is the wreck of the Prinses Astrid, She also was a sistership and served with distinction in World War Two, she lies just off Dunkerque, France.

Regards and thank, my friend.

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Rick,
Rick Smallman wrote:

I did agonize some time about who was going to place it on the Memorial and I hope you understand that one of the names is Billy Rodaway who was Tony Rodaway's Uncle and a crew member of HMS Prins Albert, so it does mean a lot to him

To be honest, this was probably the only part that I couldn't have helped with, so it is only right and fitting that you were able to ask Tony Rodaway to have the honour & privilege.

My offer to help, in any other way, in the future still stands.

In the meantime, I can't wait to see the photos...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
tonyrod
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi everyone, going up on the 5th June and staying 3 nights,, at the moment not sure who will be there from ARDENTINNY, but I will be taking lots of photos ,and a video, so stay tuned in, the Plaque will be ready this week , but I will leave it for Rick to post the first photo;s.

from Port MacQUARIE IN AUSTRALIA TO BLACKPOOL LANCASHIRE
AND ALL THE WAY UP TO ARDENTINNY IN ARGYLE-SHIRE
I HAVE TAKEN ON A TASK TO CARRY A TREASURED PLAQUE
TO HONOR A LITTLE SHIP WITH A GLORIOUS PAST
SHE CARRIED THE BEST OF OUR COMMANDO'S ONTO ENEMY SHORES
THEY CALLED HER THE LUCKY ALBERT BECAUSE SHE WAS NEVER HIT
SHE GOT THEM ON THE BEACHES AND MOST OF THEM BACK AGAIN.
IN HONOR OF THE CREW OF THE H.M.S.PRINS ALBERT,
AND ALL THE COMMANDO'S SHE CARRIED,

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/04/2015 08:09:58

[WWW]
tonyrod
Forum Member
[Avatar]

reply from Ian Adams today in ARDENTINNY

Hi Tony,
I have just attended today the funeral of Tom Hamilton, who as you know organised the Remembrance Day at the monument. I took this opportunity to inform the village of your intentions for the 6th June, so we should get some to turnout. Ian

very sad ,Rest In Peace Tom , duty done. Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/04/2015 18:48:43

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Rick/Tony

What time is the unveiling ceremony on the 6th?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger