commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
A new memorial on Woodbury Down  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Alastair Rogers (LT Col RM Retd) advises us of the following

I am sure your Members would be interested to know that we have placed a new memorial to commando training on Woodbury Common near Lympstone in Devon. It is formed from a piece of the actual Rock of Gibraltar (thus its name - The Gibraltar Stone) and it records the fact that commando training has taken place here since WW2. The stone is placed on a hillside overlooking one of the old WW2 firing ranges and the area of Dalditch Camp, and part of the modern day Endurance Course which is run by recruits and young officers under training from the nearby Commando Training Centre Royal Marines.

There are two bronze plaques on The Gibraltar Stone. One records the history of commando training on Woodbury Common and the long relationship between the Royal Marines and Gibraltar. It commemorates not just Royal Marines commandos but also all the Army and All Arms commandos who have trained in this part of Devon. The second plaque is on the side of the stone overlooking the Endurance Course and it has on it the four key attributes that together make up 'Commando Spirit'.

Please let your Members know that if they wish to see the stone it is located at GR SY038859 which is a hillside between Peters Pool and the Water Tunnel on the Endurance Course (for those that know and love those places!).

A dedication ceremony is due to to take place in March 2015 to which CVA members are invited. Any enquiries about the ceremony can be made to WO2 Richard White at the Corporate Communications cell at the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines on 01392 414061.

Follow this link for more about the Gibraltar Stone http://www.commandoveterans.org/GibraltarStone

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/02/2015 14:07:09

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete.

Here are a few pictures of what remains of Dalditch camp on Woodbury Common.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/4033.page

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger