commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
National Memorial Arboretum  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

If anyone has not yet visited, then I would thoroughly recommend a visit, not just to visit the CVA Memorial but to enjoy the tranquil setting of the Arboretum.
I paid my first visit today, 20 July 2008, for the service at the CVA Memorial - then took the opportunity to explore...
What a beautiful setting - beside the Rive Tame - the trees, still young at the moment, will be absolutely stunning when they start to get bigger.
I wandered all over the area, deciding to get away from the main paths, I followed the river past the RNLI Memorial, past a lovely piece of meadow with blue cornflowers & poppies let to grow naturally. By a pillbox next to the river was an area to commemorate SOE Operatives, then an area set aside for a memorial for Combined Ops, then on to one for Popski's Private Army and beyond that a Memorial to the fallen SAS members of the Bravo Two Zero patrol. I spent over an hour in this area and didn't meet anyone else until I returned to the Main Paths.
Over then to the Far East Road where those who fell on the infamous Burma & Sumatra Railways are commemorated by very poignant memorials. Here too are the Burma Star and the Chindit Memorials and a very moving exhibition about PoWs held by the Japanese.

http://www.thenma.org.uk/

http://www.thenma.org.uk/get-involved/become-a-friend/

I will post some photos in the near future.
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/08/2017 14:37:33

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello All,
This may seem as a bit of a strange observation to some of you. I would just like to make a comment relating to the family and friends of the CVA
members who all made the effort to turn up and support the day at Alrewas regardless of the distance they had to travel. Of corse we all know the senior Veterans who never miss any event linked to the CVA, they are always there, Harry, Scotty, Billy, Frank, Charlie, Leo,and many others, always there. I should like to take this oppertunity and mention their respective "Good Ladies" who are also always there, when these fellows are among their pals the good ladies are there to make sure they are well turned out, fed and watered to the full. We should congradulate them for their endeavours and patience and long may they continue to be part of the crew. Perhaps on a lighter note maybe some of them deserve a medal?.
Regards Ron

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Ron

Nice to shake your hand again at Alrewas on Sunday.
Yes you are right.........the family and friends are a fantastic bunch.....and long may they continue.

The LADIES are FORMIDABLE 8) .......behind every great man etc.

All the best to you and yours Ron.

Best regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Its just over 10 years since the CVA Army Commando Memorial at Alrewas was installed in June 2007. What a fantastic memorial it is to the Army Commandos, and perfectly positioned being so close to that for the Royal Marines. I am not sure how many of you know, but our website manager John Mewett was one of the small team that were involved from the beginning, and some 3 years back he put together a very nice video about the memorial being put in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QISdXT2DWC4

A history of the Memorial can be found on our website here http://www.commandoveterans.org/CVA_Memorial_Alrewas

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger