commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
WW2 Combined Ops badge  XML
Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Roger Brooks
Forum Member

I am putting together a collection of cloth Formation signs & shoulder titles for particular units that served in the Burma campaign in which my father took part as a Chindit, 2nd Battalion, the Duke of Wellington's Regiment..
I understand that 3rd Commando Brigade, Army Commandos 1 & 5 and R.M. Commandos 42 & 44 were in action at the Battle of Kangaw Hill.
Would these units have worn the Combined Ops. badge in addition to their own shoulder titles and is there any difference between the two types of Formation sign, i.e. circular and "tunnel" shaped ?.
Any advice would be most welcome,
Roger B.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Roger,

A quick browse through the No5 Commando Album in the Gallery will show that in most of the photos, taken when the Commando were in India/Burma, they wore neither shoulder titles or Combined Ops badges. The reason is quite simple - these badges were worn on the BD (battledress) blouse which was not worn in the hotter, humid climes in which they operated.
The normal working dress was shirt sleeve order, although a light weight bush jacket was issued - presumably for 'walking out'.
Only badges of rank were worn on shirts & bush jackets.
By the time No5 Cdo had reached Hong Kong & the New Territories they had designed and issued a brass shoulder title which was worn on the shoulder strap of the shirt.
(A brass shoulder title was unique to No5 Commando).

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Nicks the expert on No 5 :)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/01/2015 22:08:36

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John & Roger,

I believe the same to be true of No1 Cdo as most of the photos taken of their time in India/Burma again show shirt sleeve order with no badges other than badges of rank.

Something I had not noticed before is that it seems that No1 Cdo also adopted a different shoulder title which took the form of a shoulder slide and presumably only appeared when the Commando had reached Hong Kong etc.

See photo of John's father:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/Bob+Mewett.jpg.html

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger