commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The Imperial War Museum (IWM)  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I would not normally post such an appeal on this forum but I strongly believe that this time it is justified.

One hundred years after the outbreak of the First World War, the Imperial War Museum is under threat.
The Museum is facing an annual deficit of £4m because of cuts in government funding.
It has drawn up proposals to:

close its unique library and dispose of the majority of its collection

cut important education services

cut 60-80 jobs

close the widely emulated 'Explore History' facility in London.

As everyone who registers on this forum is interested in military history (albeit sometimes on a very personal level) I think these proposals are extremely alarming and would appeal for as many of you as possible to follow the link below, read the article, sign the e-petition and pass it on to like minded people and websites.

It was through the Imperial War Museum and Julie Warren's research into the Commandos that I found my late father's Commando Pal and best friend, Geoff Hill, some 57 years after my father's death. By pure good fortune I was able to meet up with Geoff two months before he too passed away.

I am, of course, indebted to Julie, who has since become an extremely good friend and a member of the CVA Research Group, and I also owe the IWM a huge debt on a number counts...

The IWM is a very important source of information for historical research and holds a unique collection of photos, documents, uniforms and military equipment and weapons...
Can we really afford to allow these cuts in finance - please sign and share will like-minded people.

https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-george-osborne-mp-urgently-reverse-current-and-future-cuts-to-the-uk-imperial-war-museum-s-annual-operating-grant-in-aid-so-that-it-can-maintain-services-and-preserve-its-standing-as-an-international-centre-for-study-research-and-education

Thanks,

Nick

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 10/04/2021 00:20:13

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger