commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
knife crime in London  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ive just had a shock reading this morning's Sunday Express. Theres a full page of the serious knife attacks in London and theres a photo of a Commando fighting knife with the headline "You can buy this for as little as 99pence!" its a stupid headline 99 pence? Says these knives are sold on eBay and kids can get them . I can see them banning Commando knives which will not solve the problem. Its pretty alarming.

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Stephen Donnison wrote:Ive just had a shock reading this morning's Sunday Express. Theres a full page of the serious knife attacks in London and theres a photo of a Commando fighting knife with the headline "You can buy this for as little as 99pence!" its a stupid headline 99 pence? Says these knives are sold on eBay and kids can get them . I can see them banning Commando knives which will not solve the problem. Its pretty alarming.

Stephen,
It's an irresponsible headline because anyone who can't buy a knife legally over the counter now knows how to source a knife that was designed to kill

However, in theory, it is true - if someone offers a knife for sale on Ebay listing the starting price as 99p with no reserve, then if it only gets one bid - it goes for 99p

Of course any responsible vendor should add a caveat that he will only sell to legitimate collectors/dealers etc. but I know that doesn't always happen...

The trouble is, something must be done about these atrocious stabbings.

But, unlike the ban on hand-guns, the banning of knives per se is nigh on impossible - we all need to use knives in the kitchen etc, and whereas you'd need to be extremely skillful to manufacture a gun, it is very easy to make a cutting tool/knife, so even just banning Commando knives would serve no purpose.

Certainly the sale and control of knives needs to be tightened up (somehow) and, personally, I wouldn't have a problem if 'collectors' had to have a licence and/or knives etc had to be registered - my 'collection' consists of a FS Fighting Knife and an Iraqi Bayonet (Gulf War), and both of these are mounted onto wood (in such a way that it would be easier to use them as a club than a knife) and displayed in a case.

What a nightmare

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Throughout the UK, there are various proposed legislations to deal with blades of all types.

English law originally focused on `samurai swords`, then extended their proposals to deal with straight and curved swords and finally decided to legislate against all cultural blade types over 50cm long.

Scottish law presently has a couple of proposals underway. One is a licensing scheme for manufacturers and retailers of all swords and `non-domestic knives`. This simply means that swordmakers like myself will have to spend a few hundred pounds on a licence every few years just to sell them.

The other law is a general ban on the sale of all swords and `non-domestic` knives, with exemptions. The exemptions for selling are for religious, cultural or sporting reasons.

Basically, the onus is now going to be on the maker and seller to prove that they have taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that our blades are being sold for `legitimate` reasons. I`m not keen on this personally, as it could result in sellers as myself standing in court someday having to defend our reasons for selling a blade that may for whatever reason subsequent to sale be involved with criminal proceedings.

As far as the customer is concerned, this is where we hit grey areas of legal definition. Collecting is not presently covered under the proposed wording, but this may yet change.
I make and sell 2nd pattern repro. FS commando knives (for a bit more than 99p I may add!) If a customer wishes to buy one for use as a re-enactor, this should be no problem under current and proposed legislation. If a customer wishes to buy one as a collector or simply for historical interest, then it would have to be deemed as `cultural` reasons, but it would certainly not prohibit the selling of these knives in this country.

To be honest, this is another law that targets the tool instead of addressing the real sociological problem and will have little or no impact upon the street crime that it is aimed towards curbing.

The recent media blitz on regrettable violent incidents and murders has caused great concern among many legitimate groups such as the following -
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2112391/Morris-dancing-threatened-by-new-knife-laws.html

Laws as presently proposed shall not outlaw the buying, selling or owning of commando knives or similar historical or reproduction blades, but simply bind makers and retailers in more red tape at this time.

All the best,

Paul Macdonald,
Macdonald Armouries
www.historicalfencing.org/Macdonaldarmory/index.htm
Macdonald Academy of Arms
www.historicalfencing.org/Macdonaldacademy
Commando D Living History Group

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 06/07/2008 17:43:20

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Macdonald wrote:

... this is another law that targets the tool instead of addressing the real sociological problem and will have little or no impact upon the street crime that it is aimed towards curbing.

Thanks Paul, sadly, you're absolutely right...

As I mentioned before, I can, from a couple of everyday items I have in my shed, manufacture a 10 inch, razor sharp, 'stiletto' blade - in less than 5 minutes (even without your skills and craftsmanship) which would certainly make a complete nonsense of any law that restricts sales & manufacture.
But, unfortunately, sociological change takes decades and something needs to be done now

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Stephen its very sad to know that events in our home city triggered these new regulations.

I have looked into the new regulations regarding Japanese swords. If the blade was manufactured before 1964 that is is exempt. I would like to think this applies to WW2 commando knives. I sincerly hope no veterans seriously consider handing in the knives they have treasured since WW2 in fear of these new laws.

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger