commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No 5 troop no9 commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
pop
Forum Member

Still looking for information on WHC MCALLISTER 5 troop no 9 commando hit by motor in Italy last battle of the war also his mate Jack Jones same unit any information would be a great help

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/12/2014 19:22:58

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We have a Gunner William McAllister listed in our No 9 Commando nominal roll. Attached from the Royal Artillery. Service number 842944, who served with No 9 Cdo from April 1944. An enquiry was made to the original Commando Association by his son some 10 years ago. Would this be ident at all. We also have a Pte. J.B. Jones on that nominal roll, attached from the Manchester Regt. Service number 3535712.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Tim Jones
Forum Member

pop wrote:Still looking for information on WHC MCALLISTER 5 troop no 9 commando hit by motor in Italy last battle of the war also his mate Jack Jones same unit any information would be a great help

Hi. My name is Tim Jones. The son of John Bertram Jones known to his friends as Jack. He indeed was a No 9 Commando 5 Troop under Cap?t Leslie Calf. I have dad?s army service records and a few years ago I engaged a historian to search out the war archives in London for more info on his unit. I was able to access some of Calf?s private diaries which did give me some insight into dad?s movements as a Commando. He too was wounded, GSW to the knee at Lake Commachio on April 2 1945. That basically brought an end to his war as you know it ended the following month. I have a great photo of dad with another Commando who may be WHC? If you give me your email I can send it to you along with the info I have on 5 troop. Mine is [email protected] cheers Tim
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Email sent to Tim in respect of the Gallery.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Tim Jones
Forum Member

Pete wrote:We have a Gunner William McAllister listed in our No 9 Commando nominal roll. Attached from the Royal Artillery. Service number 842944, who served with No 9 Cdo from April 1944. An enquiry was made to the original Commando Association by his son some 10 years ago. Would this be ident at all. We also have a Pte. J.B. Jones on that nominal roll, attached from the Manchester Regt. Service number 3535712.

Hi Pete. Re My dad J B Jones of No 9 Commando 5 Troop. I have his service record in front of me and it shows he went to the Commando from the South Staffordshire Regiment and I have his army number as 5347501. This does dose not line up with you info above so I just thought you might like to know. Cheers. Tim Jones
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Tim

Thank you for the excellent photo of your Father which I have now added to the No. 9 Commando gallery and it can be viewed on the link below. If you provide me with his dates of birth and death I can also add those details. I also note your comments about the entry in our nominal roll for J.B.Jones above. I am not aware of the source for the Regiment and service number as shown there, but I have now added your Father's details to the nominal roll. There was no official roll of all who served as Commandos and there may have been two in No.9 Commando of that surname and initials so both now show.

Your Father - http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/john+jones/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/07/2019 19:46:37

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:... I also note your comments about the entry in our nominal roll for J.B.Jones above. I am not aware of the source for the Regiment and service number as shown there, but I have now added your Father's details to the nominal roll. There was no official roll of all who served as Commandos and there may have been two in No.9 Commando of that surname and initials so both now show.

Hi Tim,
I can confirm that the details for the other J. Jones listed in our No.9 Cdo Nominal Roll was obtained from No.9 Cdo's Official War Diaries [WO361/861 - 9 Commando Casualties] where he was listed as serving in HQ Troop and as 'Killed and/or Missing', 3 Feb '44 (Ornito).

It's always very satisfying when we can add more names to the nominal rolls or amend/correct details we already have.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Message deleted

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/07/2019 12:13:39

[Email]
Tim Jones
Forum Member

NIC wrote:
Pete wrote:... I also note your comments about the entry in our nominal roll for J.B.Jones above. I am not aware of the source for the Regiment and service number as shown there, but I have now added your Father's details to the nominal roll. There was no official roll of all who served as Commandos and there may have been two in No.9 Commando of that surname and initials so both now show.

Hi Tim,
I can confirm that the details for the other J. Jones listed in our No.9 Cdo Nominal Roll was obtained from No.9 Cdo's Official War Diaries [WO361/861 - 9 Commando Casualties] where he was listed as serving in HQ Troop and as 'Killed and/or Missing', 3 Feb '44 (Ornito).

It's always very satisfying when we can add more names to the nominal rolls or amend/correct details we already have.

Nick
Oh I see. Thanks Pete. We are skipping from email to forum. Lol.
Jones has always been a ?popular? name! I feel very confident tgat the Pte Jones I have read about is my dad. Cheers. Tim
GUY
Forum Member

Pete wrote:We have a Gunner William McAllister listed in our No 9 Commando nominal roll. Attached from the Royal Artillery. Service number 842944, who served with No 9 Cdo from April 1944. An enquiry was made to the original Commando Association by his son some 10 years ago.

842944 Gunner William Hugh C. McALLISTER Royal Artillery & 9 Commando
15th April 1915 - 1999 Hartlepool
Enlisted in the Royal Artillery in 1934
Transferred to the Army reserve 3.1.1938
Para 390 (XVI) K.R. 1940 (Released unfit for further service) 26.10.1945

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/07/2019 23:10:21

Tim Jones
Forum Member

NIC wrote:

Hi Tim,

Nick

Hi Nick. Sorry I thought you were Pete. Thanks for the info. Cheers Tim

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger