commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Medical layout  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Support Ships and Landing Craft
Shaun
Forum Member

Hi all,

In various orders that i have read regarding the chain of medical evacuation of casulties from aa beachead, etc. It mentions the use of Landing Craft as a method of evacuation. With this in mind was there any known layout of for medical casulities aboard landing craft (Very much like an RAF Air Ambulance). I have contacted the RN Museum and they are not aware of any. Just wondered if anyone on here knew different.

Never look down on a Medic, one day you may be looking up at one...
Danny L
Forum Member

Hi,
There were several Landing Craft/Ships used to evacuate the wounded from the beachhead.

The only purpose built craft was the Water Ambulance.

The majority of Water Ambulances were converted from Landing Craft Personnel (Small). A total of 160 were built.

First craft were laid down in July 1942 and completed by January 1943. The programme was completed by late 1943.

All of the WA were converted by their builders before handing over to the Admiralty.

They had the troop benches removed and replaced by fittings for six casualty litters. They could be carried on the davits of Hospital Carriers.

I have seen a drawing for "stretcher brackets" that were fitted to the inside of some Landing Craft Assault. I don?t know if the brackets were permanently fitted or how many LCA were fitted for carrying the wounded though.

For the Normandy landings a couple of DUKW Companies were allocated to the role of carrying wounded out to the waiting ships. Some LST were also fitted out to carry the wounded back to the UK.

Regards

Danny
Shaun
Forum Member

Hi Danny,

Thats fantastic! I take it then they were used on Operations with the Commando's and saw action? Just need to find a photo of one now!

many thanks. This really is helping me put together the Commando side of the chain of evacuation.

markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Shaun,

regarding medical use of Landing Ship Tanks, Danny mentioned LSTs carrying wounded back to the UK,

have a look at the photos on this website below - it is sometimes unavailable or slow

There are two photos of British LST 320 loading wounded during operation Overlord, my late granddad was a crew member for 2 months during operation Overlord, and used to talk about carrying wounded back. However, as he was recovering from being shot in the hand, he was not with a Commando unit during this time. The photos seem to show US vehicles on the deck of LST 320 which again matches his anecdotes about being with US troops.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/16/160320.htm

There are a few videos on You Tube about LST's, I recall that one of them mentioned having harnesses to strap wounded to the inside walls of the ship, but I may be confused on that ! but it sounds like the "stretcher brackets" Danny mentions. Anyway, interesting to get some background information on how LSTs were used and constructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAwXEDrevT8#t=1051
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=086Mni54-6E

Here is an interview with Henry Lloyd Bell, who served on LST 320

British seaman served aboard HMS Curacoa in North Atlantic, 1940-1942 including sinking, 2/10/1942; served aboard LST 320 in Mediterranean and North West Europe, 1943-1945

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80015885

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/12/2014 20:47:26

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Shaun
Forum Member

Cheers for all the replies. have now sourced a diagram of the LCP(S). Does anyone know of any surviving LCP(S)? Would love to have a look around one and get the feel of what it would have been like to have been on one.

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Support Ships and Landing Craft
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger