commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Landing at Porto San Venere - Commando Battle Honour  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
griftur
Forum Member

Dear All

I am trying to put together some details about Operation Hooker which took place in Southern Italy in 1943, Porto San Venere is one of the beachheads that had to be secured. The landing at Porto San Venere is also one of the Army Commando Battle Honours, 3 Army Commando or at least two re-enforced troops of, took part in the operation.
Unfortunately I have not been able to identify the exact location of Porto San Venere, I suspect the name is no longer in general use.

So my question is, where is Porto San Venere?
[Thumb - Operation_Hooker.jpg]
 Filename Operation_Hooker.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Description of Operation Hooker
 Filesize 156 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  532 time(s)

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Formerly called Porto Santa Venere, this port town is now known as Vibo Marina in the province of Vibo Valentia, Calabria.

The landings were at Porto Santa Venere and Pizzo (Pizzo Calabro) with the idea to cut the SS 18 [Strada statale 18]
Hope this makes it a little clearer.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/12/2014 22:06:54

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
griftur
Forum Member

Thank you Nick, for answering my question so quickly. :D

If anyone is interested there is a plan of Vibo Valentia Marina from 1943 online.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/italy_city_plans/txu-pclmaps-oclc-6499241-vibo_valentia_marina.jpg

There is however another query I have reference the Landing at Porto San Venere, it appears to have two code names.

Operation Hooker which I mentioned previously and Operation Ferdy which is designated to what appears to be the same operation in

Volume IX of History of United States Naval Operations in World War II, SICILY- SALERNO-ANZIO, January 1943 -June 1944 By Samuel Eliot Morison. p234/235

Have two operations been confused? Was there a naval codeword for the operation and an army codeword?

Or were the two beachheads considered separate operations? There is a reasonable distance between the two beachheads, in the region of 15km as can be seen from the attached map.
[Thumb - Vibo_Valentia_Marina_walk.jpg]
 Filename Vibo_Valentia_Marina_walk.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Walk from Marina to Pizzo
 Filesize 105 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  641 time(s)

[WWW]
Danny L
Forum Member

Hi,
From a list put together in 1956 by the Historical Section, MOD.

HOOKER - 3rd September 1943 - Bagnara Calabra - Left hook by sea to assist to advance main forcers of 13 Corps. Special Raiding Squadron - 243. Landing unopposed, opposition later met in hills surrounding town linked up with main forces Sept 4th.

FERDY - 7th September 1943 - Porto S. Venere. 3 miles NW of Pizzo. - To prevent enemy establishing a line across neck of land joining toe to mainland. 40 RM Commando, 3 Commando(2 reinforced Platoons), 231 Brigade. - Operation successful by 9th September.

There is a Canadian report here that mentions the operations http://mgray.hopto.org/PLFus/History/cmhq144.pdf

Regards

Danny
griftur
Forum Member

Thank you Danny

Glad I didn't buy the codewords book!

I don't suppose that 1956 list has a codeword for a third landing made further north in support of the 8th Army on their way to support the 5th Army at Salerno.

The landing was at Sapri, it took place probably between 12th to 16th and may have been called Ringwood.

Best Regards

Griffin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/12/2014 19:39:20

[WWW]
Danny L
Forum Member

Hello Griffin,
No mention of that landing in the list.

Also looked in a couple of books but could not find anything on "Ringwood".

Is this a 3 Commando operation ? Might be mentioned in the War Diary.

Regards

Danny
griftur
Forum Member

Hi Danny

Thank you very much for looking.

A re-enforced N1, a sub unit Nan RN Beach Commando possibly called 'Ringwood Party' definitely took part part in the Sapri landing but who they were trying to get ashore I just don't know.

The landing occurred just after the German's had left and before the lead elements of Eighth Army arrived.

In my opinion the Eighth Army advance to link up to the 5th Army is often portrayed as being slow and laboured but when you see that it involved three separate amphibious operations it appears a lot more dynamic. Especially as their original role was to engage the Germans in the far south and not as a relief force for the 5th Army landing at Salerno.

Best Regards

Griffin
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Griffin,

Here's a link which you've probably already seen but it does mention Sapri...

http://relaysystem.co.uk/N_RN_LedaKiplingLtr2.pdf

There is also a very brief account of Sapri in 'The Beachhead Commandos' by A. Cecil Hampshire, pages 98 -100.
A few comments by Lt J Russell DSC, RN (PBM of N RN Commando at the time).

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
griftur
Forum Member

Hi Nick

Thank you very much. I do have a small admission to make, and that is the Relaysystem website belongs to me.

Best Regards

Griffin
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Griffin,

I did have an inkling - had you mentioned it before? I'm glad I didn't include the other reference to Sapri - from your website - now... ;-)
... and I see you've read A Cecil Hampshire's book! :-D

And now I realise who your grandfather was!

You are obviously far better read on the subject than I am, but it does seem that the 'landings' at Sapri were more in the nature of logistics rather than an assault?
I'd be interested to know if you discover anything more about it.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/12/2014 22:24:54

Nick Collins,

[Email]
griftur
Forum Member

I will certainly keep this Forum updated on what I find about Operation Hooker, Ferdy and the landings at Sapri :D

Griffin
[WWW]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger