commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
X Troop 10 IA Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

WO1(RSM) E.W. Nathan (Howarth) X Trp, No10 (IA) Cdo - KIA 03.04.45

Hi anyone that can help,

I am currently trying to do some research on the personnel of No 10 Commando (sometimes wish that I hadn't started). I have tried a number of avenues to see if I can aquire nominal roles/roles of honour, etc, and apart from our own, have had little success. One of my investigations unearthed the name of the RSM of No 10 who served as 'Howarth'. I then referenced him through the CWGC and found that he had been killed 03.04.45. can anyone help with further info into this soldier - formerly with 'THE BUFFS - ROYAL EAST KENTS. Also if anyone has any info on personnel who served with No 62 Commando I will be grateful.

Harryj

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/10/2009 15:28:10

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Harry:

Re: Sgt. Major E. Howarth, X-Trp., No. 10 Commando

Concerning your request for information on this soldier, this is all I am able to record at this time:

Born Eric Nathan at Ulm, Germany 1922
Arrived in England 1938
Educated at London Polytechnic & King's College, Canterbury
1940 Interned at Camp in Isle of Man as enemy alien
1940 Removed to internment camp in Canada
1941 Volunteered for service as Pte., Pioneer Corps., British Army
1942 Volunteered for service in Commandos
1943 Attained rank of X-Trp. Sgt. No. 10 Cdo.
1944 Promoted to Sgt. Major X-Trp.
1944 Wounded in Normandy invasion
1945 Killed in Germany, probably by a long-range shell as he was returning from Officer Cadet Training Unit in England

As far as names of No. 10 Commando people are available, I only have about 100 names or less. If you think they might be of use I will be glad to list them so they can be incorporated in your research.

Do hope that we will be seeing you in Ft. William.

Best regards,

Bob & Janet

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/07/2008 00:39:11

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Harry,
I'm sure you've probably got all this info but I thought I'd post these links jic (just in case) you haven't...

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/ww2/sugar13.html

http://home.online.no/~gestrom/history/n5t10frm.htm

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Bob & Nic,

Thank you for your help . I have found the information valuable. Bob I'd be delighted if I could get a copy of those men in No 10 Commando. The Jewish connection (although I'd researched a little) was fantastic. Thank you, to you both

Harryj.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Harry

Just a note on X Troop. Eric Buckmaster brought to my attention an article by Kim Masters regarding her late father Peter Masters of X Troop. The article can be seen on this link :
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-08-09/my-father-the-inglourious-basterd

There is reference to her fathers book at the end of this article about X Troop on the BBC Wartime Memories Project

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/17/a2657117.shtml

He is also mentioned on this CVA forum link

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/292.page

I have sent an email to Kim Masters informing her of the CVA and inviting her to become an associate member. I hope she accepts

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/10/2009 15:21:09

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete,

I'll look the references up. Do you Know if RSM Nathan has been added to No 10s 'Fallen List'?

Harry

Hedley
Forum Member

Harry
on this 70th Anniversary of D Day, I found your post relating to a member of my family Eric Nathan. Did you find all the information you needed about Eric ? The stories of his remarkable life have passed down through our family, which is spread between England, Switzerland and the United States and much of our memories were of his boyhood.

The internet has changed so much of the dynamic of understanding his story.

Thank you

From Detroit, Michigan
Hedley
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Harry

Nominal Roll of X Troop 10IA Commando can be found on our site here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/nominal+rolls/Nom+Roll+X+Troop.jpg.html

Hope this is useful

Regards

john M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Hedley

RSM Nathan's name is on our Roll of Honour for No 10 Commando, and also on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database, however we do not have much information about him, nor do I believe have any photo. If you have any items that you would care to share and have posted in our gallery please post them here, or alternatively you can contact me below by email.

In Memory of 6305467 Warrant Officer 1st Class, RSM Eric William Nathan ( served as Howarth)
The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment) and No 10 Commando
who died on the 3rd April 1945 aged 22
Remembered with honour at Reichswald Forest War Cemetery

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/06/2014 22:51:21

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Hedley
Forum Member

Hi Pete

I talked to Eric's family in Switzerland over the weekend, and told them of the interest at this website and sent them a link.

My Uncle in London reminded me that Eric was an exceptional Athlete, had spent boyhood summers with the family in Tankerton. He also believed that Eric parachuted in to Normandy to take a bridge in advance of the arrival of the allied troops on D Day.

Yes, there is a photo of Eric online which we had not seen before.

Thank you to everyone for your interest

Hedley
Wolgang
Forum Member

Hello,

knowing that Jack JONES is Vladimir KOTTKA, born in Ormks (Russia) in 1911 and who was naturalized on February 10, 1947, he was a clock repairer on that date and lived in 6 melrose avenue in London.

On December 24, 1943, he was taken prisoner in Gravelines (Hardtack 11) and was 10 commando X-Troop.

Who would have information about his life after 1947 and when would he have died ? Thank you in advance for the answers.
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Many references to Howarth (Nathan) in 'Striking Back' by Peter Masters as mentioned earlier in this post.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Wolgang
Forum Member

[quote=Peter Cooper]Many references to Howarth (Nathan) in 'Striking Back' by Peter Masters as mentioned earlier in this post.[/quote]

Thank you for the reference but I am French, and I do not know much English so I am not able to read a book in English.

I only wanted to know if the commando Vladimir Kottka made a prisoner of war in Gravelines returned to London in 1947, but I wanted to know only what he became, and when he died.

Thanks anyway
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

On February 1oth 1947, Kottka (Jones) of 6 Melrose Avenue London, became a naturalised British citizen.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Wolgang
Forum Member

[quote=Peter Cooper]On February 1oth 1947, Kottka (Jones) of 6 Melrose Avenue London, became a naturalised British citizen.[/quote]

Yes, found in the London Gazette (April 25, 1947) page 1838

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger