commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John William James Green, 45 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
JWJSON
Forum Member

Hi All, Sorry for the repost in this forum which is probably the best one for this..

My Father was John William James Green, he was 45 Cdo by 1947, joined in 1939. Attached is a pic. Has anyone any info on him, other pics of the unit??
[Thumb - jwj.jpg]
 Filename jwj.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description JWJ Green
 Filesize 66 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  780 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There are a small number of photos of 45 Cdo in 1946 here: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/laterday/RM+Commandos/

If you have documentation or a photo showing his attachment to the Commandos can you post it here. I will then be able to add the photo to our gallery.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
JWJSON
Forum Member

Here is a pic I found of his unit. His unit was in burma in 45 according to his diary. Perhaps someone recognizes others in this photo as well. I believe it is an early picture of his group, circa 1940
[Thumb - RM JWJ.jpg]
 Filename RM JWJ.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description RM Unit
 Filesize 452 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  846 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/12/2014 15:33:21

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alex

The pictures that you have posted are indeed of Royal Marines. However unlike today, in WW2 not all Royal Marines were Commandos. The uniforms in both pictures do not assist as they are wearing their RM uniform forage caps and peaked caps rather than the Green Beret of the Commandos. Thus they are likely to have been taken before any 45 Commando posting. Do you have any of him wearing a green beret, or that show RM Commando insignia on his uniform such as shoulder patches? Any documentation that mentions his Commando service either during or after the war. If not you will have to apply for a copy of his service record which hopefully will show such Service. Once we establish which unit he was in and when, we can determine which gallery to post any photo in.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
JWJSON
Forum Member

Hi Pete, I have indeed sent for his service record. Attached is a pic of his flashes found in his estate belongings along with his discharge papers and diary sheets.

Alex
[Thumb - Flashes.jpg]
 Filename Flashes.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Flashes
 Filesize 75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  771 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/12/2014 16:05:46

JWJSON
Forum Member

Service record obtained... Yes indeed a 45 Cdo as of Aug 1, 1943 - Dec 11, 1946. Was on ships to Sri KLanka, Burma. One C.O. was W. Roberts. He was also listed on the HMS Chinthe, Dolphin and High flyer throughout 45-46.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/12/2014 18:58:17

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alex

Good news about the Service record. All the names you mention are shore bases. After 45 RM Commando returned to the UK from NW Europe in September 1945 there was a reorganisation and in Jan 46 they sailed to Hong Kong where they would adopt the new variant of their title 45 Commando RM.

HMS Chinthe (Naval Party 1031) was in Rangoon: http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2917.html

IWM of the Mountabatten's vist to the location: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060031786

HMS Dolphin was the base of the Royal Navy Submarines service in Gosport.

HMS Highflyer (RN base, Trincomalee, at the time ) have a website http://hmshighflyer.org/

Pete

[Email]
JWJSON
Forum Member

Here is the card that ID's him as 45 Cdo. As an additional note dad was also awarded the Burma star. His record clearly indicated he served in Burma and the 1938 card review missed this fact.
[Thumb - Medals Card.jpg]
 Filename Medals Card.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 45Cdo Medals Card
 Filesize 187 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  782 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/02/2015 21:22:21

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thank you Alex. I have now posted the image of your father in our 45RM Commando gallery. Here is a direct link to it: Mne John William James Green

[Email]
JWJSON
Forum Member

Another picture from HMS Dolphin posting. Third in line.
[Thumb - JWJ RMarine HMS Dolphin.jpg]
 Filename JWJ RMarine HMS Dolphin.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 348 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  870 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/01/2015 05:25:08

JWJSON
Forum Member

1939 Photo. 353 Kings Squad? Not sure how this fits into the RM groups.
[Thumb - 353 kings Squad 1939 JWJ 4th from B Lt.jpg]
 Filename 353 kings Squad 1939 JWJ 4th from B Lt.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 296 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  787 time(s)

JWJSON
Forum Member

His record shows he received these medals. Left to Right> Defense Medal, War Medal 1939-45, 1939-1945 Star, France and Germany Star, Burma Star.
[Thumb - JWJ Medals.jpg]
 Filename JWJ Medals.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description JWJ Medals
 Filesize 109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  626 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/11/2015 02:22:46

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,
Judging by the 3 medal ribbon group in the first photo of his badges etc., I would say that he got his Burma medal from his being in Ceylon earlier in the War, as a RM, and not his time in Burma, as a RM Cdo, (as he'd already qualified & received the Star).

The 3 medal group (which is upside down in the photo) should read 39-45 Star, Burma Star, Defence Medal.

I'm assuming that his time in France/Germany came after Ceylon - which would account for why he has the Burma Star but not the France-Germany Star in the 3 medal group.

Stars take precedence over the two medals and are worn in order of qualification.
Therefore, as he was, subsequently, awarded more medals, I believe (and stand to be corrected) the order they should be worn/displayed is:

39-45 Star, Burma Star, France-Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/03/2015 15:48:10

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
JWJSON
Forum Member

According to his service record he was only in Burma in 1945. The medals are arranged in the photo in no particular order. Thanks for your info on the medals, we always appreciate hearing from others who are more familiar with the WW2 RM history.

NIC wrote:Hi,
Judging by the 3 medal ribbon group in the first photo of his badges etc., I would say that he got his Burma medal from his being in Ceylon earlier in the War, as a RM, and not his time in Burma, as a RM Cdo, (as he'd already qualified & received the Star).

The 3 medal group (which is upside down in the photo) should read 39-45 Star, Burma Star, Defence Medal.

I'm assuming that his time in France/Germany came after Ceylon - which would account for why he has the Burma Star but not the France-Germany Star in the 3 medal group.

Stars take precedence over the two medals and are worn in order of qualification.
Therefore, as he was, subsequently, awarded more medals, I believe (and stand to be corrected) the order they should be worn/displayed is:

39-45 Star, Burma Star, France-Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal

Nick
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,
Any mention of Colombo, Ceylon (Sri Lanka) on his records prior to 1 Aug 43?

It's just that he was obviously awarded the 39-45 Star, Burma Star & Defence Medal before he was awarded the France-Germany Star (otherwise the F-G would be on the same ribbon strip as the others).

Obviously, as I don't have access to his records, so I'm just guessing that he saw service that qualified him for the Burma Star prior to him becoming a RM Commando.

Was he on board a ship that saw service in the Bay of Bengal - the Burma Star was awarded to R N personnel for service at sea in the Bay of Bengal.
Was he in 5 RM Battalion?
Any mention of MNBDO?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger