commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
George Massen, No 1 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Annie
Forum Member

This is my husbands grandads, which we are told he done whilst recovering from injures in hospital, in Dartmoor or Dartmouth ? His name was George Massen, and the only other info I have on him is he Royal British legion book but we are unable to read his reg number, please can anyone help ?
[Thumb - image.jpg]
 Filename image.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 365 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  432 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2014 22:51:41

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Annie,
Welcome to the CVA Website and Forums and thanks for your interesting post.

Looking at the artwork, I would say you are probably correct in supposing that George Massen was in No1 Commando - and presumably in 1 Troop - as the piece bears the No1 Cdo formation badge of a Salamander emerging from flames.

However, at this time, his name does not appear on the No1 Cdo Nominal Roll, but, as our lists are not definitive that doesn't mean that he wasn't in No1 Cdo.

If you follow this link, you will see by the brief history of No1 Cdo that the unit was in Dartmouth around the date that is embroidered on the piece - which would tie in with George's stay in hospital.
http://www.commandoveterans.org/node/358

The colour of the Union Jack and the presence of a Dutch flag on the piece, together with the spelling of Troop (with an 'e'), make me wonder if George was a Dutchman?

To find out more about his time in the Armed Forces you may want to apply to the MoD for George's Service Records. This would cost £30 but you would receive a photocopy of his records showing his regimental number, date of enlistment, regiment, training, promotions (and demotions), postings, wounds, hospitalisation etc.
If you do decide to follow this route, I can forward the necessary forms for you.

Hope this is enough to start you on a fascinating voyage of discovery...

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2014 23:20:24

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Annie
Forum Member

Morning Nick many thanks for the reply, a salamander, I have for years wondered what it was, these pieces were given to me by my husbands mother, who unfortunately didn't seem interested in them, which is such a shame, I would love to find out more info on George massen, whom I was told was born and bred in Kings lynn Norfolk, ??? I also have his Royal British legion book, which states he was a member in Terrington St Clements Kings Lynn, but I am unable to read his reg number, if you would mind forwarding the things I need that would be great, but I don't have much info on George at all,
Kind regards
Annie.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just a note that it does say Special Service Battalion so this would have been during the early and short lived reorganization of the Commandos around the end of October 1940 through to Feb 1941. The Norway connection is likely to refer to Scissorforce (Operation Avonmouth)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Annie,

I have found a George Frederick Massen born 2nd May 1913 in Kings Lynn. He died in Kings Lynn in 1976, age 63.

He married Majorie J Dack in Kings Lynn in 1935.

Regards

Guy
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Annie,

Here are the two forms which you/your husband will need to fill out and send to the MoD - the forms are fairly straightforward but if you have any problems/questions please ask.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/210233/request_service_details_NOK_pt1_v6.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/142479/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

The third link will take you to the gov.uk page which gives you all the details & instructions you will need to fill the forms out.

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

within days of applying you should receive acknowledgement of your application - and they will say there is quite a long waiting period - so the sooner you get your application in the better.

Please keep in touch and also please let us know what you find out about George so that I can add him to No1 Commando's Nominal Roll.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Ivan
Forum Member

Hi Anne
I now have the tapestry?s and the diary, secured at auction and trust me they will be treasured.
What I am interested in, is did you pursue the Service Record route to try and get George?s Service details?
This is important as we can have his details added to the Nominal Roll so that his Service can be remembered.
Kindest Regards?
Ivan

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger