commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Researching the War Diaries  XML
Forum Index » Tips on Research
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

One of the most fascinating and enjoyable way to research is to take a visit to the National Archives at Kew where you can read the official War Diaries of each unit - for free!

As a first time visitor you cannot pre-order the files you need to view but will need to book in and undergo a short induction - this will give you all the instructions & help that you need (although the staff are all very helpful and patient).

At the end of your induction you will get your Reader's Card and instructions how to use it. At this stage you can order your files - my advice is to order three files and then go for a cup of tea as there can be a wait of 30 minutes before your files are delivered.
When you order the files you are given the option of chosing a table/desk, you will be asked if you are going to take photos and, if you are, they will try and give you a table by the windows.
Your files will be delivered to a safe box bearing the number of your allocated table/desk (ie 46D).
You obviously can take photos of the files and there is no charge for this.
You may also use the Camera and stand set up and email the images to your own account - again for free.
You can also ask to obtain copies made by the staff - this will cost you!

Having finished with your first file, return it to the desk and now is a good time to order more files - you can be ploughing through your first lot of files whilst you wait for the second consignment, and so on through the day.

My key advice is "prior planning"...
Make a list of the NA file reference numbers, you want to research, BEFORE your visit.
Have them in the order you want to view them.
Take your camera, spare batteries, a note book (it will be checked by the Security Staff) and a couple of sharpened soft pencils (2B or 4B).

For your subsequent visits to the NA (and you will want to return), you can book a table and pre-order the files you want one day in advance - so they will be there waiting for you.

Don't think I've missed anything but if I have here is the link to the NA Website for you to browse.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/

You'll really enjoy your time there...

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Most appropriate timing ,I was going through a old list of War Diaries I thought I was interested in when I came across the following diaries WO 218/160 A Sqn Middle East Commando,and its companion diary WO 218/161 B Sqn Middle East Commando.Were these units the fore runners of Layforce Battalions,if they were squadron,were they tank or transport squadrons.

Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Graham,
they came after Layforce drawn most from this disbanded formation and were originally 5 squadrons with plans to raise others from the Dominion and Indian armies similar to the proposals for the original MEC in 1940 but again came to nothing. They disbanded after Operation Agreement in 1942. I have a document I put together entitled 'Beyond Layforce' which covers their short history. Several troops from B Squadron were for a time attached to an Armoured Div. whilst others operated with the LRDG in a similar fashion to the SAS.
Hope this will help.
Kind regards,
Alan.
Sam North
Forum Member

thanks for the insight into this, it has been a use full read.

A young photographer who's grandfather served in 3 Commando during the war and I am trying to find out some more information.

Forum Index » Tips on Research
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger