commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando training  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Shaun
Forum Member

Hi all,

I am interested to know what eactly the commando training was for the Commandos during WW2. An internet search has given me a mixed reply of answers.

Many thanks.

Never look down on a Medic, one day you may be looking up at one...
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Shaun,
Welcome to the forum,have you looked at the picture gallery on this site.There is a picture showing the whole programme of training for commandos.This can be found in the Combined Operation section find commando trg -then Achnacarry trg course,
then trg programme.Trust this will help.
Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Shaun
Forum Member

Many thanks.

Never look down on a Medic, one day you may be looking up at one...
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Click on the link at the end of this to the Commando Training section on the Home page navigation menu, then read on from the topics under Content. Amongst the pages of Content are references to two excellent books on the subject, and the details of the document written in the early days of Commando training before Achnacarry by Lt Col Charles Newman called Service in a Commando (this is also in the gallery). He would later be awarded the Victoria Cross at St Nazaire. At the end there is the film Story of the Green Beret which has some excellent real footage of training at Achnacarry:

Commando Training Section

Here is the direct link to the CVA gallery page on training:

Commando Training Gallery.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/09/2014 22:27:21

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

You should also read: 'It had to be Tough' by Jimmy Dunning of No. 4 Commando.
He was an instructor at Achnacarry Training Camp and the book describes the training that took place there.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Shaun

I have attached a link to an old message of mine concerning a DVD produced by the imperial war museum concerning the Commandos. There are four films, one of them deals specifically with Commando training carried out at Achnacarry, Wrexham and St Ives.
The films are all contemporary WWII and extremely interesting and well worth purchasing.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/412.page

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Shaun

I have attached a link to an old message of mine concerning a DVD produced by the imperial war museum on the Commandos. There are four films, one of them deals specifically with Commando training carried out at Achnacarry, Wrexham and St Ives.
The films are all contemporary WWII and extremely interesting and well worth purchasing.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/412.page

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/09/2014 21:17:51

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just purchased a copy of "The Royal Marines At War" DVD for £5.99, thanks everyone.

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger