commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Andrew (Andy) Elliot MULLEN  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Jennifer Elkin
Forum Member

Am looking for information on the above individual, who was with the Commandos at Sarande, Albania in 1944 and also with Tito on the Island of Vis. He did his commando training in Scotland and was initially with the Durham Light Infantry. Any information welcome. Thank you, Jennifer
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jennifer....He was in No 2 Commando. What is your interest in him? Are you related? What information do you already have ?

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jennifer Elkin
Forum Member

Pete, thank you for responding. My research into my father's time with 148 Special Duty Squadron and SOE led me into the sphere of operations in Albania and Yugoslavia. Then quite out of the blue, I was contacted by Elizabeth Goodchild, widow of Andy Mullen, who asked for my help in finding information on her husband. She said that he only ever spoke of his wartime experiences in jokey anecdotes, but he was himself injured (a bullet which took away his left calf) and he witnessed the death in Albania of George 'Prissy' Parsons. Elizabeth told me that Andy met Tito whist on Vis and helped him across a stream. She also thought he might have been in Sicily and Norway, but was vague on that. He trained at Achnacarry and the only other snippet of information she had was that he had met the leader of Popski's Army whilst in North Africa. Hope that fills in the picture a little bit. Elizabeth is now in her 80's, but is quite a remarkable woman and if I can help her find out about her husband, I would feel privileged. Many thanks, Jennifer
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jennifer

Captain George Parsons of No 2 Commando was killed at Sarande. A burial party was sent to recover the bodies led by Revd. Captain Banting, No 2 Cdo Padre, who unfortunately was also killed. There is an entry in the No 2 Commando war diary to that effect and shown here: Reverend Gareth Bernard Banting.

In my notes I have a Private A.E. Mullen who was attached to No 2 Commando from the DLI. His next of kin is shown as his mother with an address in Newcastle. I have a note of a partial service number the last 4 digits of which appear to be 6408.

His widow can apply for a copy of his Army Service record for no fee from the MOD. How to do so can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Additionally we have a reference to a 'Buster' Mullen from Newcastle in the detail section of this image of a map of Brac used by L/Sgt Tom Smith MM whilst serving with No.2 Cdo. Map of Brac

We would be most interested to know more about Pte Mullen so if Elizabeth would like to contact me, or pass information through yourself, we will add any copies of photos or information she cares to send.

Regards

Pete Rogers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/09/2014 21:58:09

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jennifer Elkin
Forum Member

Pete, many thanks for that. You have definitely found the right MULLEN, because he did come from Newcastle and, from what Elizabeth told me, he could well have had the nickname 'Buster' Mullen. I have printed off a lot of the information for his family (nephew Paul Mullen) is also very interested. I have given them a form to apply for his Service Record and that should give a fuller picture. Many thanks for your invaluable help. I will hope to remain in touch. Jennifer
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jennifer,

Jennifer Elkin wrote: I have given them a form to apply for his Service Record and that should give a fuller picture. I will hope to remain in touch. Jennifer

Just to make it quite clear, there are two forms that must be filled in to apply for service records -

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/210233/request_service_details_NOK_pt1_v6.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/142479/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

Regards,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Jennifer Elkin
Forum Member

Thanks for that - have just printed the second one off and will pass it on. Jennifer
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger