commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Thieves steal St Nazaire hero's memorial - William Johnson No 5 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Disgust as thieves steal St Nazaire Raid hero's memorial stone from Falmouth Cemetery.

See this article. Click here

The St Nazaire Society and CVA have been made aware of the above. This is for information only as you can imagine matters are in hand. Please circulate widely especially on social media and anyone with any knowledge should contact the Police in Falmouth and quote their crime reference CR103450/14. This number is relevant to the local Police only. Crimestoppers can also be contacted anonomously by anyone with information about the offender/s or recovery of the stone on 0800 555111.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 18/09/2014 23:46:19

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Terrible and Bizarre. I hope it is returned ASAP.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/09/2014 08:11:55

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A follow up to this story (thanks to Sue Court for keeping us updated)

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/11493240.Stolen_Falmouth_war_hero_s_memorial_to_be_replaced_as_outraged_supporters_rally_round/?ref=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Update : There was no crime. It was an error by a Stone Mason who was directed to amend a 'Johnson memorial'. Instead of following the correct procedures, no permit from the Town Council was sought which would have indicated the Grave Number. Without the correct information to hand, the stone mason entered the Cemetery and removed the first Johnson headstone he came across which of course was the incorrect headstone.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger