commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
V E ROBERTS Meir : World War 2 photograph of No.5 Army Commando, 3rd Commando Brigade in India, 1943  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I found an online article from the Stoke Sentinel newspaper on 13/09/2014 about a request from a V E ROBERTS Meir of 5 Commando, asking if anybody remembers any of the men in his No. 5 Commando picture.

The picture is not there in the online version.

Perhaps the CVA, could contact the newspaper and try and help out V E ROBERTS Meir ? A contract email for the newspaper is given.

Anybody live in Stoke and saw the article and photo ?

I quote from the article below.

MADAM, ? Looking through a variety of old documents and photographs, I recently came across the enclosed picture of my old Army days and wartime colleagues.

The photograph was taken in 1943, and I'm wondering if any of these "lads" are still with us?

Incidentally, they, including myself, are all Stoke lads, serving with No.5 Army Commando, 3rd Commando Brigade, during the Second World War.

The picture was taken in India (near Bangalore) during a rest camp visit and re-fit.

Unfortunately, I can only remember the names of two of the men: "Tich" Dayson is centre back, Frank Willis TSM is front right and I'm at the back on the right.

Do any readers recognise anyone in the photograph? I know it's a long time ago, but memories still hold good, even at my age. I was 22 years old at the time.

V E ROBERTS Meir

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Way-World-War-2-photograph-5-Army-Commando-3rd/story-22919063-detail/story.html

From No. 5 Commando Nominal roll

Dayson

WILLIS FRANK TSM, 9 FD TRG REGT

and a number of roberts

ROBERTS D 14423419 PTE 2, 6
ROBERTS DAVE
ROBERTS DOUGLAS L CPL
ROBERTS I 1641*41* CPL DORSET REGT
ROBERTS JIM PTE (SIG TP)
ROBERTS 3386457 PTE 1 EAST LANCS 1/4
ROBERTS 2041769 TPR 2 RAC 51 TRG REGT

I wonder if Mr Roberts is in this photo in our gallery ?
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/India+or+Burma+2.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/09/2014 09:02:33

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mark,
Many thanks for bringing this to our attention.
I have contacted Colette on the Features Desk of The Stoke Sentinel asking to be put in touch with Mr Roberts.

I will keep you informed of any developments via this forum.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A follow up to the previous article

MADAM, First of all, may I offer my thanks for printing the recent letter and the old photograph of the Stoke lads of No.5 Army Commando.

I must say that I like to remember 'the lads' in their youth and 'the way they were'.

In reply to the letter from Sam Cooke, of Berryhill. Yes, I do remember you.

If it helps, I was referred to as 'Robbo' or 'Jim Roberts'.

Read more:
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Way-Stoke-lads-5-Army-Commando-3rd-Commando/story-23247271-detail/story.html

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger