commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
SBS Raid Sicily 29/30 Aug 1941  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
GUY
Forum Member

Please could anyone point in the direction of any book references to the SBS raid on the Palermo and Messina railway on the 29/30 August 1941?
Many thanks in advance
Guy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There were Commandos from No. 2 Commando involved in this raid. They were part of Force X that went to Malta. The SBS were also operating from there at the time. In this raid that you mention they went out on the submarine HMS Triumph.

The group on the raid went out with others to Malta and included Captain Lawrence 'Larry' Taylor who later rejoined No 2 Commando as Captain of 5 troop and 2879761 Lance Sergeant Robert Brown, No 2 Commando, who was awarded the Military Medal for his gallantry during the raid.

Amongst others in this group who went to Malta from No 2 Commando were Captain Richard 'Dickie' Broome who again rejoined No 2 Commando as Captain of 5 troop, and was killed in action at Salerno. Whether Captain Broome took part in the raid you mention I do not know, however his name is in the Submarine Patrol Log of HMS Unbeaten, another submarine used in operations from Malta around this time. Additionaly a Lt T. G. Walker, Sgt William 'Tan Rudge DCM who later rejoined 5 troop No 2 Commando and was awarded the DCM at Salerno, and L/Cpl Alun Blackwell DCM, along with 36545471 L/Cpl Harry Joe Slater of 5 troop, also took part in these operations - all from No 2 Commando.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 26/08/2018 11:47:15

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have added links to the names where we have entries in the gallery for them

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Pete,
Thank you for the reply.

I have found only one name from the group that launched from HMS Triumph. Albert Andrews who received the MM and was captured on the raid.

Guy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Guy

In George Brown's book Commando gallantry awards of WW2 there are a few references to those who were awarded medals after this raid and who were on HMS Triumph including Albert Andrews. Strangely he is mentioned as No 3 Commando yet I have him on a list as being in No 2 Commando. Also a L/Cpl Frank Morgan No 2 Cdo awarded the MM on the raid, L/Cpl Luke Morris No 2 Cdo, awarded the MM, and L/Sgt Robert Brown, No 2 Cdo whom I previously mentioned also awarded the MM. Sgt Derek de Nobriga No 2 Cdo was awarded the DCM.

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/09/2014 22:55:43

[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi

Did this raid/operation have a name ?

Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Not sure on that Graham. There is a document that would be interesting to read at Kew in full about the SBS one page of which I have attached here (that's all I have). I'll see if I can get hold of the entire document. Basically if you read the first paragraph it explains the history of the formation of No 1 SBS. In addition to this newly formed SBS there was a Folbot Section formed that joined them, and also a group of about 60 Commandos who were part of X Force, and who operated from Malta. I learnt about these men when i was asked for some information about two of the above named No. 2 Commandos after their names were found in the log book of the submarine HMS Unbeaten ( the then Lt Broome and L/Cpl Slater). The author David Smith who contacted me has since completed his book on the history of the submarine HMS Unbeaten. Its a good read and he discusses this period in some detail. The book is called "Being Silent They Speak".
[Thumb - PAST PRESENT FUTURE OF SBS.jpg]
 Filename PAST PRESENT FUTURE OF SBS.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 983 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  443 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/09/2014 19:23:11

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have some other documents which I will post relating to the SBS. They will all go in the SBS gallery as they are in JPG format.

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Pete,

I checked Commando Gallantry awards. De Nobriga, Andrews, Brown, Morgan and Morris all have the same citation for their medals. Gazetted on the 11th April 1946.

The five men were all captured and sent to Stalag VIII B, Lamsdorf.

Guy
Alan
Forum Member

GUY wrote:Please could anyone point in the direction of any book references to the SBS raid on the Palermo and Messina railway on the 29/30 August 1941?
Many thanks in advance
Guy

There was a ninth man captured by the Italians at Torrente Furiano after the sabotage of the Palermo-Messina railway bridge: P.O. Thomas TELFER RN of HMS Triumph. He volunteered to go with the shore party and was captured with the rest of them. It seems he was repatriated to the UK on 23 Mar 1943 after succumbing to meningitis, but was soon back on submarines again, serving on HMS Selene in the Far East until the end of the war. He was awarded a bar to his DSM for his part in the Torrente Furiano operation.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alan

I have moved your earlier post here, and deleted it from the Contact Us message to avoid confusion.

Re your page regarding A Raid on the Messina to Palermo railway about the party landed at Torrente Furiano who were captured. There was a ninth man with them who was also captured: P.O. Thomas TELFER of HMS Triumph, who had volunteered to go ashore with the party. He was awarded a bar to his DSM for his part in this incident, and was later repatriated (possibly suffering from meningitis) on 21 Mar 1943. He later returned to service in submarine HMS Selene in the far east.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The page referred to is, I believe the one, below which I have now updated to show that Petty Officer Telfer, a member of the submarine crew, did indeed volunteer to accompany the Commandos, and as you say received a bar to his D.S.M.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/raid_sicily_railway_bridge

Regards

Pete

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger