commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
William Gordon 'Jimmy' Brough  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
sasbrough
Forum Member

I am searching for information about my Great Uncle, William Gordon 'Jimmy' Brough. He was originally in the Scots Guards, then 8 Commando in North Africa in 1940 (Layforce). He was one of the original members Of David Stiriling's L Detachment SAS in August 1941 and served with the SAS throughout WWII. I have compiled a 160 page 'book' on him and surrounding background info.
I am trying to find out if he was part of Operation Houndsworth in France in 1944. I think he may well have been, but it is a gap in my research.
If anyone could help it would be wonderful.
If anyone is interested in the story then I would be only too pleased to share it - it is quite a story.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the CVA website

Do you have a copy of your uncle's Army Service Record from the MOD amongst the documents you have compiled? Feel free to either reply here or email me via the link below.

I should point out to readers that your great uncle, if this man is him, was awarded the Military Medal as announced in London Gazettes :

War Office, 26th November, 1942.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of gallant and distinguished service in the field:-

No. 2695138 Lance-Sergeant William Gordon Brough, Scots Guards and Special Air Service Brigade

The National Archives also have a record of the recommendation http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7369585

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 12/09/2014 15:13:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
sasbrough
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply. No I don't have a copy of my great uncles war record. How would I get it please?
I have spoken to the archivist of the Scots Guards and he has given me several dates of William Gordon Brough's military service; I don't know if his military record would reveal more.
Yes' I have got a copy of his recommendation for the MM, a great piece of personal history.
As an aside, my wife and I are going down to London next week to see if we can find a plaque in the Guards Chapel to Jimmy Brough. I am told it is there, but really want to see it.

Regards CP - sasbrough
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Here is the link on how to apply for Service records from the MOD. There is a £30 admin fee. If the nearest next of kin applies you will get a full copy of the record, otherwise you will get a transcript with limited information. It's a must do really especially after all the effort you have gone to already.

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

If you have a copy of the citation please post it here along with a photo of your great uncle. I will add it to our gallery. Alternatively if you want to send it by email with more information about your great uncle please feel free to do so.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
sasbrough
Forum Member

Hi Pete, Sorry I have taken a while to reply.

I have tried to attach 3 files which may be of interest. A photo of 'Jimmy' Brough, his MM commendation (I especially like the hand written note across it - 'not to be published'), and a photo of his plaque in the Guards Chapel.

I hope these find their way to you.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger