commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
42RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Our thanks to Chris Bennett for sharing over 30 photos of 42RM Commando from the collection of his father, Philip Bennett, who served in 42 RM Cdo. These are in addition to previous ones that he had already provided. The gallery can be viewed here:

Images for 42RM Commando

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks very much for sharing Chris !

In this photo we see old Sai Kung Harbour
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/42/Harbour+Sia+King+China+1945+or+46.jpg.html

Here is the modern Saig Kung via Streetview. Most Probably only the hills in the distance look familiar to somebody from 1946 !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@22.380324,114.272849,3a,75y,130.43h,85.37t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMpAzXuYwNEgDMjrYYomW6Q!2e0

It is a lovely town, I was there this year, very popular with families and Expats.

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Brilliant collection of photos Chris.

Thanks for submitting them.
regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Derek Hill
Forum Member

Is there any info from Chris Bennett about the group photo's? Specifically names for the one on page 1titled No. 42 Commandos Troop A Royal Marines? I think my father may be in it.

Derek Hill
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Derek
Whenever we get photos we seek all information that is known about them from the provider. So what is there is all we have. That particular photo was printed in a 3 Commando Brigade publication called the 3rd Jungle Book issue 9 which we have a copy of but the resolution is obviously not nearly as clear as the gallery one. It is alongside other relevant documents from that theatre of war here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Burma3CommandoBrigade

There is a good account in there of each commando within 3 Commando Brigade.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/01/2021 20:34:38

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger