commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Updated & Revised Nominal Rolls  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete, i came across them whilst looking for names i can add to a D Battalion Nominal Roll i have been attempting to compile, if it is of use to you i can send you a copy of what i have got so far.
Alan.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alan

Can you email me it on the email link below so i can have a look. Thank you.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

11 (Scottish) Commando additions and updates.

Abbott, Gnr. Aiden.

Gnr. A. Holden.

Gnr. J.F. Kearney, 970050.

Wood, Gnr. Noel.

Gnr. J. Reynolds.

All served in the 57th (Newfoundland) Heavy Regiment Royal Artillery and 1 Troop 11 (Scottish) Commando.

Alan.

MBrockway
Forum Member

Alan Orton wrote:
Rfmn. L W. Dean 6897356 Kings Royal Rifle Brigade.

Alan.

King's Royal Rifle Corps

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alan

I have updated KEARNEY with sources here https://www.commandoveterans.org/JoeKearney_11Commando

In respect of the others what is your source for their service in 1 Troop please?

There are the following in the RA Attestation Registers 1939 whose service numbers are close.
970064 Siden Alphonsus ABBOTT (note S rather than A at the beginning of his first name.)
970158 Henry Robert Noel WOOD (RA (Field) 15 November 1943.)
970558 John Allenby REYNOLDS (RA (Field) 24 September 1943.)

I can find no 'A' Holden with similarly close number.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/02/2024 00:52:53

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Pete,

It's most likely 970131 Thomas T Holden, he like 3 others named were all part of the 'First 400' who shipped out from Newfoundland to the UK in 1940.

The 1 Troop for Joe Kearney is from an envelope addressed to him from his parents received prior to Operation Flipper where he became a POW.
The other 4 all returned to the RA units either in theatre or returned to the UK on disbandment of Layforce.
Initially there were 20 volunteers from their regt. but only these 5 made the grade.

Hope this helps.

Alan.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/04/2021 08:10:51

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alan

What is the source please of commando service for those other than Kearney whose Commando service is verified by the Casualty Lists, eg. Is it a regimental war diary, official document reference, name of book and author, other website name etc).

Many thanks.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/04/2021 09:44:23

[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Pete,

Joseph Kearney and the Hunt for Rommel by Frank Galgay with Donna Kearney Adams.

Alan.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Excellent...many thanks. I will add them now.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Out of interest I have just checked and found this website referencing some from their regiment including Aiden Alphonsus Abbott http://ngb.chebucto.org/NFREG/WWII/ww2-nfld-regt-A-surname.shtml

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Gents,

I have a whole collection of documents and letters from Joe Kearney to his parents that were sent to me by a museum in Newfoundland.
I know Joe mentions the 5 Newfoundlanders who volunteered for and were accepted for commando training - but he only mentioned their names and there was no other evidence they all became commandos.
It has been a long time since I read them but will go through them again and cherry pick any relevant information...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Michael Asher in his book Get Rommel also mentions there were 20 volunteers from the 57th with only 5 completing their commando training.

[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

3318575 Pte J Munachen Highland Light Infantry 7 Commando was reported missing 16/17 November 1941 on the WO 417 file he is recorded as 7 Commando but actually he L Detachment and took part on Operation Squatter. Within L Detachment he was with 2 Troop, 3 Section, I Group and was part of Lt. Boningtons No.4 Flight.

Within the SAS War Diary there is a Nominal Roll and he like several others suffer from mis-spellings he is recorded as Monaghen, in another Nominal Roll published in Mars and Minerva again he is named as G.S. Monaghan. The file recording him as missing is correct and he is in-fact Monaghan/Monaghen. There is also another name recorded on the File that of 2819724 Pte. R.P. Alexander Seaforth Highlanders recorded as missing on the same date it. As the Seaforths were not in theatre at the time it looks suspiciously that he was 11 (Scottish) Commando and also L Detachment, there is no proof as yet to verify this though so i continue to search..

Alan.
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A few more names for 11 (Scottish) Commando, all were wounded 09/06/41 and found in WO 417 Files.

Cheshire Regiment
4130949 Pte EDM Wilson - he went on to L Detachment - SRS - 1/SAS.

Royal Artillery
L/Bdr NS Chadwick

Black Watch
4744958 Pte H Hammond
2763698 L/Cpl W MacMillan
2758951 Cpl JMP Wilson

Gordon Highlanders
2886140 L/Cpl G Edmiston
2880859 Pte JG Hay

Regards,

Alan.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Alan I have updated those and found a bit more about a couple.

The WILSON who went onto the SAS is listed on two casualty Records as E.D.H. Wilson, one with 11 Commando and the other presumably with the 1 SAS 13 July 1943.
The Casualty Listing for HAY was amended to show initials as J.D. rather than the original J.G.
Cpl. John Marshall Prentice Wilson died in 1945 although I do not know the cause:
https://www.commandoveterans.org/John_Marshall_Wilson_11Commando

I have found another who was listed in our nominal rolls only as Gnr E.E. Tanner. I have found out from the CasLists that he died on 9 June 1941 in Syria but is not shown on the CWGC database as a Commando. Nor is he on the Westminster Abbey Commando ROH and the CasLists only show his RA unit, as do the RA Attestation Record and Casualty card.

Do you or anyone else know the source of his inclusion in the Nominal Roll for 11 Cdo ?

TANNER, Edwin, Ernest; Gnr; 1684983; RA; kia 9 june41 Syria CasList WO417/26

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2188534/EDWIN%20ERNEST%20TANNER/

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/02/2024 00:56:41

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger