commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
War Graves of Commandos in the UK and elsewhere  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Having recently been in the area I took the opportunity to take a photograph of the grave of Edward White, 6 Commando.
There are still a few graves lacking photos. I am sure that CVA members when driving around the country or on holiday could quite easily check the list and plan their route to include the few missing ones. It would be great to have the list completed.
[Thumb - CVAHeadstone2013_May.jpg]
 Filename CVAHeadstone2013_May.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2362 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  680 time(s)

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Peter I have now added your photo to our War Graves album for the UK, along with two others sent in by Elaine Southworth Davies. The UK War Graves album can be viewed here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/UK/

The list showing where we still need photos is on Page 1 of this message.

nb. I have advised the CWGC of the condition of the headstone (private) at the grave of Marine Whitney, 45RM Commando.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/05/2013 18:06:47

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Our thanks to Elaine Southworth-Davies for 2 more photos. Many others still outstanding ! For the full list see page 1 of this message

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/06/2013 22:29:34

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Page 1 of those message contains the up to date list of graves in the UK where photos are still needed, and also those where relatives, members or friends have provided them. Please let me know if you can assist in visiting and taking a photo in order that we can place an appropriate tribute in our gallery.

We will remember them

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We still have quite a lot of photos needed of graves of Commandos in the UK. I personally would prefer to have members or friends of the CVA visit and take the photos rather than search other websites. I think that will show we care. Thanks to Eileen Harris for the latest photo and everyone who has contributed so far. The outstanding graves and their locations are on page 1 of this forum message.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/06/2014 15:32:34

[Email]
KatieKing
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I can visit the cemetery in Minturno, near the Garigliano River, if you need any photos or info. I am there on a regular basis
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Katie

Thank you so much for the offer but we have photos of all the Commando graves at Minturno HERE

Regards

Pete

[Email]
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete,

Are there any graves in Jersey or Athens that still need to be photographed?

Regards,

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Julie

Thanks again. There are 2 in Phaleron Cemetery, and quite a few on the Athens Memorial. I appreciate because its a few kilometres out of Athens that you may not be able to visit. The CWGC has the following information:

Access to the Athens Memorial is through Phaleron War Cemetery. Phaleron War Cemetery lies a few kilometres to the south-east of Athens, at the boundary between old Phaleron district and Alimos-Kalamaki district, on the coast road from Athens to Vouliagmeni. The easiest means of reaching the cemetery is by the coastal tram, which takes about 35 minutes from the terminus at Syntagma Square on route 5 (Platon) towards Voula. Alight at Pikrodafni, a stop about 100 metres after the cemetery, from where it can be easily seen. The Athens Memorial stands in the cemetery.

Cemetery address:
Poseidonos Avenue 8
Alimos
(Opposite the Marina at Alimos & the Kitchen Bar)

Visiting Information
Access to the Athens Memorial is through Phaleron War Cemetery. Phaleron War Cemetery is permanently open and may be visited at any time, including weekends and public holidays.

If you do then a few photos of the Memorial and a photo of each grave would be great. All the details are now here on this link to our War Graves Album for Greece and the Greek Isles

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks to Carol Oliver for the latest image...plenty more still to be done across the UK.........see page 1 of this message for details.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Our photos of Commando War Graves in the UK and across the world continues to grow, and thanks to all who have to date contributed. There are however many still outstanding.

In the UK visits and photos are still required on the up to date list on page 1 of this forum topic.

Our War Graves Gallery can be viewed here: Commando War Graves

We can provided you with details of Commandos buried in any CWGC Cemetery. Check out the Find a Cemetery section on the CWGC database below and if you may be near one, or if you can spend an hour or so during a holiday or a visit, please contact me for details.

Find a War Cemetery

We will remember them

[Email]
Jsavage00
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi all, my name is Jordan Savage.
My Great-Uncle is George Stanley Hall. My family used to refer to him as "Sonny".
Info: PO/X 111875, No. 45 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines.
Died on 10th october.

Picture below:
[Thumb - G.S.Hall  Royal Marines  renewed.JPG]
 Filename G.S.Hall Royal Marines renewed.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 155 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  574 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 28/05/2015 11:46:17

If anyone has information regarding George Stanley Hall ("Sonny") No. 45 R.M. Commando.
Please message me!
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thank you Jordan. Your photo has now been added to our War Graves UK gallery

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Only 51 more cemeteries across the UK need visiting. Check out the outstanding list on page 1 of this forum message and if you can help let us know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/06/2015 13:35:18

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Only 50 more grave visits needed to ensure that we have a photo of the grave of all WW2 Commandos who died in the UK.

The main list is on page 1 of this forum thread. I have pooled those in the London area below. Any Londoners out there can help?

London North ENFIELD (LAVENDER HILL) CEMETERY, Middlesex
Marine ERNEST EDWARD LESLIE TONKS , 45RM Commando, . Grave Ref. Sec. Z. Grave 5103

London East ABNEY PARK CEMETERY , Stoke Newington (No headstone - his name is on a Screen Wall memorial near the Cross of Sacrifice towards the centre of the cemetery, opposite the chapel)
Private, GEORGE FRANCIS TARRANT, Hampshire Regiment. and, Commando, 11 April 1945. Age 18. Grave Ref. Sec. N.9. Jt. Grv. RN.61182. Screen wall. Panel 13.

London East EAST LONDON CEMETERY, PLAISTOW,
Lance Corporal, HENRY FRANCIS FOWLER, No. 2, Commando Grave Ref. Square 54. Grave 36519.

London East, Essex MANOR PARK CEMETERY,
Marine, CHARLES WILLIAM DEWBERRY, 46RM Commando, Grave Ref. Sec. 56. Grave 81

London East LEYTONSTONE (ST. PATRICK'S) ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY
Private, ROBERT DUFFY No. 10, Commando Grave Ref. Plot 11A. Row 6. Grave 35.

London West HANWELL CEMETERY Middlesex
Marine, HERBERT GEORGE 'PHIL' GOWER, 42RM Commando, Grave Ref. Plot 23B. Grave 12898

London North West HARROW (WEALDSTONE) CEMETERY, Middlesex
Marine, KENNETH WILLIAM MORGAN, 40 RM Commando, Grave Ref. Sec. D. Grave 3394.

London South West STREATHAM PARK CEMETERY, Rowan Road, Streatham, SW16 5JG
Sergeant, ROBERT JOSEPH VICTOR BEARD, EX. 3528, Commando., Royal Marines. Grave Ref. Square 7E. Grave 42660.

London South West WANDSWORTH (STREATHAM) CEMETERY, Garratt Lane, mid way between Upper and Lower Tooting
Lance Corporal, HENRY E. EDWARDS, No. 5, Commando Grave Ref. Block 12. Grave 534. Screen Wall. Panel 2.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/05/2016 19:43:37

[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger