commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Peter John GIBSON - 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

There does seam to be some confusion on the forum in regards to troops served. In my opinion it is not wise to set in stone which individual served in which Troop. Many of the originals of 3 Commando served in many different troops for different campaigns/raids. E.G. In the Normandy campaign men were moved to reinforce Troops which had suffered a high number of casualties, we know this from the war diary.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 15/07/2009 21:46:41

Ian Grant
Forum Member

A further comment on troop identification related to the group photos from Italy Nov 1943.
The War Diary records that in July 1943 total strength was down to just over 250 and the Troops were reorganised into HQ and four other Troops. 2 Troop was kept as heavy weapons Troop while 1 and 3 Troops were absorbed into 4, 5 and 6. I don't know if this arrangement persisted up until the time of the photographs but it does illustrate the movement of personnel between Troops.
pd_jennings
Forum Member

Hi

I'm pretty sure my Grandad Tom Tucker Jennings would have served with Peter Gibson. Here is what I know, if anyone else knows any more info, please let me know,

. Recruited from Bed & Herts
. Served in No 3 Commando
. CO was Peter Young
. In pocession of SAS badges never spoke about it though
. landed at Sword
. Served in Africa
. Won the george cross
. Was a corporal

. Friends were Barnes & Osbourne "Great quote in Storm from the Sea were my Grandad and Osbourne were shouting from the landing craft at sword that the germans were rubbish shots.

My Grandad mentioned that Barnes was a trained butcher so they always ate well

Grandson to Thomas 'AKA Tucker' Jennings 3 Commando - 3 Troop

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger