commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The para wings badge  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
NormanSFletcher
Forum Member

Apologies if this is not the correct terminology but this is all I have to go on at the moment.

My father - ex RMC circa wwII - on the back of all the WWI & II media coverage .. found his commando jacket and sent it off to the dry cleaners. Unfortunately it came back without the para wings which had obviously come off in the machine as remnants left.

My father told me about this afterwards - so not a lot I could do.

He was so pround of these wings... so I am currenly looking for a replacement - I thought para wings were para wings - but of course not.

I found an ordinary RM para wings badge - dark green on lighter green, which dropzone call "British OD/Black Para Wings" and sent them to him. He was very grateful but eventually told me they were not the orrect ones - and his were about 2" wider - but he cant remember whether they had the chute on or not.

This is where I need help. The only other wings I can find are SBS - and, although he was in the SBS for a short time he is sure that he didnt gain the wings during that period.

So can anyone help me - even by telling me what questions I should be asking my father to determine what these wings were. He gained them at Abingdon... 10 jumps from plane; some from hellicopter; learning how to avoid trees .. and special jumps learning how to hide the chute.

Sorry - not much info here but I am not sure what to ask him

thank you to anyone who can help.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Norman,

I am not an expert on badges and had hoped that someone more knowledgeable may have answered your query.

As far as I can tell from your description, the badge you obtained for your father was a modern 'subdued' version.

I believe that the badges your father wore was likely to have been one of these pictured below.

Photo B - Royal Marines (tropical) WWII - white parachute, light blue wings on sand cotton drill.

Photo A - Royal Marines WWII - red silk on dark blue field

Nick
[Thumb - RM Para wings_tropical.JPG]
 Filename RM Para wings_tropical.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Photo B
 Filesize 83 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1009 time(s)

[Thumb - RM Para wings.JPG]
 Filename RM Para wings.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Photo A
 Filesize 65 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  785 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/08/2014 23:07:02

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NormanSFletcher
Forum Member

Thank you Nick for your prompt reply.

I will download and print out the badges and see whether they ring any bells for him. As I mentioned, the only reason I thought it might be the SBS wings was because my father reckoned his badge was 'about 2" wider' than the one I purchased for him, but we will see.... He didn't mention the colour at all.
Regards
Norman
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Norman

I don't know if this will be of much help but I have just seen this book on Parachute badges and insignia advertised on Amazon, see attached link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Parachute-Badges-Insignia-World-Colour/dp/0713708824/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1408015674&sr=8-8&keywords=parachute+badge

Good luck Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NormanSFletcher
Forum Member

Hi Andy

thank you very much for this link - despite needing it for details of the chewed up badge - it is my father's birthday next month - and so I have bought a copy for him - he will really enjoy it

thank you

Norm
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Norman

Glad the link has been of some use, with ref to your dad, you mention that he was in the RMC during WWII, does he have any photos or documents from this period, if so it would be great to have them included in our gallery.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NormanSFletcher
Forum Member

Thanks Andy

I will find out what he has to share next time I go up there

regards

Norman
marcel320
Forum Member

hello i have a battle dress from D H Butchers he was in 45 commando look his wing maybe this is the one you need
Marcel
[Thumb - 002.JPG]
 Filename 002.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description bd butchers
 Filesize 131 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  463 time(s)

[WWW]
marcel320
Forum Member

Wing bd
[Thumb - 001.JPG]
 Filename 001.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description wing
 Filesize 154 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  447 time(s)

[WWW]
NormanSFletcher
Forum Member

Hi Marcel

Thanks for this... I will print off and show my father next time I get up to him.

He was never sure of the colour but this picture may spark a memory..... Thanks again!

Norm

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger