commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Plymouth Commando WW2: Marine William Michael Fenwick Ply/X4235  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
John Fenwick
Forum Member

I am looking for information about my late father's service during the war. I.E where he went, what he did etc. I have received a copy of his Service Record from Navy Command, but it does not contain detail. Can anyone please enlighten me on what he may have experienced?

His service record states:
Plymouth Divn 25 Aug 42 - 18 May 44
Newfoundland 19 May 44 - 6 Sept 44
Plymouth Divn 7 Sept 44 - 14 June 45
Highflyer 15 June 45 - 11 Nov 45
Lanka (?) 12 Nov 45 - 19 Nov 45
Plymouth Divn 20 Nov 45 - 31 Dec 46
RMBks Stonehouse 1 June 47- 18 June 48 N.B. five months missing

He was discharged as P.U.R.M.S 18/1/48 (incorrect date?) but I do not know why, he was not disabled, although a CAT scan in 2006 found shrapnel splinters in his neck and back. He did not talk about the war except to briefly say that he was in Ceylon. If anyone can shed some light on the above it will be much appreciated.
Thank you
John
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John,

There was a ship HMS Newfoundland that had a contingent of Royal Marines amongst its crew. There was also a shore based establishment HMS Highflyer in Trincomalee, and another shore based establishment called HMS Lanka not too far off in Colombo.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Sduce66
Forum Member

I know this is some time ago since your post...but my grandad, has some of the same postings, he was in Lanka to which is in Ceylon, he only mentioned Ceylon too, so it must have made an impression ...despite being in marines 6 years..
He to was in Plymouth division... be nice to find they served together

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger