commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lee (Leilyn) Young  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
lkmac
Forum Member

Looking for any information or anyone who might have known our uncle. Leilyn Young US Army, Ranger
We have a hand written journal that documents his training and service with the commando unit.

If anyone remembers our uncle we would enjoy any information you might have. His commando service was completely unknown to us until he passed away and we went through the household contents.
I will sent a link to anyone who would like to view photo's and/or read the journal.
Thanks
Lisa/Reggie McCollum
Midland, TX
lkmac
Forum Member

We believe he might have been in one of the first units, training in Achnacarry (sp),,, He would have been one of 4 US Army officers to have gone through the training, so he could return and "train others".

lkmac
Forum Member

I have attached a photo and an "excerpt" from his journal.
 Filename Uncle Leilyn 1943.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description a photo of Uncle Leilyn
 Filesize 3693 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  474 time(s)

Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Howdy Ikmac,

I had the good fortune to visit Achnacarry in April and took some photos in the Spean Hotel museum. There was a document in one the showcases detailing the various units that attended the Commando training center. It does mention the Rangers amongst others but the records are from 1942 onwards.

Hope this helps in understanding your Uncles service..

See attached photo (best to enlarge to view)

Regards Vic
[Thumb - CBTC 1942 1944.jpg]
 Filename CBTC 1942 1944.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Units who trained at Achnacarry 1942 - 1944
 Filesize 1259 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  479 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have been in touch with Lisa and she has kindly forwarded to me amongst other things a letter sent by Leilyn to his mother and father. The letter was taken back to the USA by a returning fellow US Ranger. It is an extremely interesting read of his journey from America to Ireland, then onto training at Lochailort and Achnacarry as well as other Combined Ops establishments, and then onto North Africa. Amongst the details he describes the toughness of the training at those establishments. I have posted it in our letters album on the following link. It is a long letter but a great read which I highly recommend all to do. My thanks to Leilyn's niece Lisa McCollum for sharing it with us. I will post some of the other items in due course :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/Letters/Leilyn+Young/
[Thumb - Leilyn Young.jpg]
 Filename Leilyn Young.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Leilyn Young. US Rangers
 Filesize 331 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  457 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/04/2010 07:33:57

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger