commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No 2 engraved plate found  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Thorn21
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi all
I am from Germany, near by Erlangen. Yesterday I've found a hand engraved steelplate with the emblem of No 2. i am interessted in how and when this plate comes to this place.49.646521 / 11.017345
Additional I found some old cannulas which let me think that there was a mobile army surgicsl hospital.
As I have heard, the veteran club has an own Museum. Do you know a responsible person there? Can you give me an e-mail?

Thanks

Best regards

Matt
[Thumb - image.jpg]
 Filename image.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 595 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  381 time(s)

I don't search, I will be found
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This message unfortunately got held in the system without automatically posting. Our apologies for the delay.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mike beckett
Forum Member

This is very interesting. The design is based on No2 Commando insignia as evident from the added No2. It should be remembered that the original No2 Cdo was a parachute Commando, which did not form part of the Special Service Brigade that existed between November 1940 and March 1941 - it went to a distinct airborne role. However a new No2 Cdo emerged in March 1941 following break up of the Special Service Brigade and its 5 Special Service Battalions. Very briefly, the origins of the new No2 Cdo lay in relevant Independent Companies that had been paired as A and B Companies of 1 Special Service Battalion between November 1940 and March 1941.

The question is - where did this new No2 Cdo serve - and this is interesting ... By 22 July 1943 the unit was sailing for Sicily - after a stay in Gibraltar the unit took part in operations in the Mediterranean / Italy / Yugoslavia etc until the end of the war. (For completeness it is noted that this service was largely part of a new/expanded Brigade structure where No2 Cdo was part of 2 Special Service / Commando Brigade)

A small detachment of No2 Cdo went to West Africa between September 1941 and 28 March 1942.

That leaves the period between March 1941 and July 1943.

I do not have all movements of the unit but recall No2 Commando were represented in

Operation Archery - Vaagso - 27 Dec 1941

Operation Musketoon - Glomfjord - 20/21 Sept 1942

Operation Chariot - St Nazaire - 27/28 March 1942

'The Greatest Raid of All' at St Nazaire in March 1942 may be a likely source of interest given the large number of casualties - Prisoners of War, Killed and Wounded.

Based purely on speculation - and thinking how the item found its way to Germany - a couple of loose proposals spring to mind:

Dropped by a Prisoner of War - who found themselves in Germany after either serving in the Mediterranean or previously, with No2 Cdo

Dropped by an Axis soldier who had claimed it as War Booty (lets face it, all sides did this)

Dropped by an Allied Soldier to whom a No2 Cdo veteran had gifted it

Dropped by a former member of No2 Cdo who had returned to his parent unit (or other unit) and fought in NW Europe etc

Found its way there after the war

It would be interesting to know if there were any Prisoner Of War camps nearby.

I hope this answer, although inconclusive, sparks some other ideas

Mike Beckett
CVARG
Thorn21
Forum Member
[Avatar]

What a huge mount of informations... Wow...
Thanks for this really good answer.

I have much more information know from the place I found.
The money I found there was from France, Belgium an Germany.
Additional a US Id tag of an Soldier. This Tag was build between July 43 and March 44.
Maybe this was lost the same time.
4km away was a prisoner Camp. Maybe this has a connection.
The Mill was used from 45-50 as a camp for war sacrifies.
But out of this time I don't find items.

The plate i found is not out of steel. It is Silver 925.
Maybe I will got more informations. i'll go back there to have a look for more informations.

Thanks again

Best regard
Matt

I don't search, I will be found
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just a little add on to the extensive answer Mike gave. At the end of the war there was a great deal of movement of Commandos between units as men were being demobbed, the ones who served longest being demobbed first. I am aware of several from No 2 Commando joining No 4 Commando, and others from the Dutch troop of No 10IA Commando (2 Troop), to assist in post war policing duties near Recklinghausen in Germany. There was similar movement between Nos 3 and 4 Commandos at the end of the war.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/07/2014 12:34:09

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Thanks Matt

Pleased to be of assistance. It would be good if it could talk! It is a very interesting find. Please keep us updated.

Thanks Pete

That is a very good point! One I had overlooked, and another credible explanation

Regards

Mike

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger