commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The funeral of CVA Chairman Stan Scott - Friday the 11th of July  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Stan's funeral will take place at 11am on Friday the 11th of July at the City of London Cemetery and Crematorium at Aldersbrook. It is in Aldersbrook Road Manor Park, London E12 5DQ

After that a reception will take place at 1300 ( 1pm) in the Sgts Mess, Sector Headquarters City of London & North East Sector, , ACF Army Reserve Centre 900 Lea Bridge Road Walthamstow London E17 9DW

The original message about the sad news of his death and the replies can be read here: Trooper Stan Scott, No 3 Commando 3 troop

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/06/2014 20:23:37

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Friends

I am so sorry that I cannot make it tomorrow. Scotty like so many of the WW2 Commandos will inspire us in the years to come. Thanks you Scotty for all you have done for us. We will be be with you in spirit tomorrow. You live on in our hearts. Love to all the family. God bless. Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Jennie Barlow was one of the many who attended Scotty's funeral and sends in this account for those who could not make it:

A long and pretty exhausting day, both emotionally and physically. Up at the crack of dawn to make sure I arrived on time. Pouring with rain, but brightened up later. Journey by bus, train and taxi.

Great turnout, including CVA members, Fred with the Standard, Gerry, John White, Pat Higgins, Mick and Barbara Johnson, Johnny Morris, Jim Petrie, Eric and Margaret Buckmaster, Sylvie and family, Pam Winch and family, George and Sylvie Parsons and, great surprise, Paul Macdonald and Mike Smith (in their kilts), who had travelled down from Scotland, and others whose names I can't remember now. I'm sure many more would have attended if it hadn't been for the early hour. Julie Wells (Eric Harden's daughter) 'phoned on Thursday to say she had only just heard that Scotty had died, so I sent the details by e-mail and she managed to travel down by train from Reymerston. Fred told me that just over 180 people were in the chapel - standing room only at the back.

The City of London Cemetery covers a huge area and it beautifully kept. The long avenue down to the chapel was lined with veterans, CVA members, a group of young 29 Commando, the Territorial Army cadets with their three standards, to salute the cortege which was led by a piper. As we gathered in the chapel, the Sands of Kuwait was playing - Revd. George Parsons led the service, which included eulogies by Joe Murtagh, His Honour Judge Raymond Naqvi who is based with the Army in Cyprus (great friend of Scotty and Pam and had flown over from Cyprus with his wife) and, finally, one of Scotty's grandsons - Michael Champion. We all joined in with Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner and The Lord's Prayer. There were readings from Psalm 23 and Revelation 21:1-7, the Commando Prayer, and the closing music was Black Bear.

There were footnotes on some of the pages of the Order of Service, which were typically Scotty: Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not (Rifles Standing Order) - If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." (Stan Laurel) - I am ready to meet my maker. Whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter (Winston Churchill).

We then gathered at 1 pm for a buffet reception at the City of London & North East Sector ACF, Army Reserve Centre, where even more people had gathered, so over 200 in total. So many ex-cadets turned up who Scotty had trained as youngsters over the years, now grown men with wives and children of their own. It was so moving to hear their memories of his kindness and care of them. Many said they would have 'gone to the bad' if it hadn't been for Scotty. Friends and neighbours came along, too, to pay their respects.

Pam was wonderful (Scotty would have been so proud of her) and even though she's broken-hearted she welcomed everyone with a hug and a kiss and spent time comforting and talking with us all. Fred 'phoned Geoff in Australia and Pam was so pleased to talk to him. The huge Scott family were out in force and were perfect hosts.

We're hoping that the two Pams, Scott and Winch, will still attend the CVA meetings and Sylvie has said we can arrange taxis to bring them over to Kennington and I've promised Pam that I'll pop over now and then to spend a day with her.

The sad thing is, Scotty would have loved it!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 14/07/2014 10:13:01

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger