commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Can you shed any light on these images?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Nick Heasman
Forum Member

Dear all,
I found these images which belonged to my Grandfather Charles Edwin Heasman believed to be of No. 4 Commando. I know he was involved at Walcheren though he only ever spoke to my father and then never said very much until he was terminally ill. My Dad still misses his Dad so he doesn't like to talk much about it.

The information was on the back of the images typed I think by Charlie. He was from Brighton, Sussex was a policeman in Eastbourne, Sussex and was originally in the artillery. I think its him on the right standing next to the half track.

Any leads gratefully received, I hope these pictures maybe useful to someone else

regards

Nick Heasman
[Thumb - scan0005.jpg]
 Filename scan0005.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Reads Reads on the back Some of the lads Jordy Tate Mick Ogden Morris Fuller B.S.M Gibbons Joe Cosgrove Mc Kemmie
 Filesize 233 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  515 time(s)

[Thumb - scan0007.jpg]
 Filename scan0007.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Forward OP party ready to move off, at Luneburg for the assualt and crossing of the River Elbe April 1945
 Filesize 212 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  480 time(s)

[Thumb - scan0003.jpg]
 Filename scan0003.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Reads Waiting for the word go, for the assault on Schwarmestead, Germany February 1945. Rest of the boys in the woods
 Filesize 215 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  443 time(s)

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Welcome to the forum Nick. Fascinating photos ,mate Do you have any evidence of him being in No4 Commando? . The soldiers look like regular troops but of course I could be wrong . Are some of them wearing Denison smocks? Sorry I cant be more helpful

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Nick Heasman
Forum Member

I believe my Grandfather was with the 1st Mountain Regiment and joined the Commando assault at Walcheren, after the battle I have now found out that his regiment joined the 1 Commando as an artillery support unit fighter with them at the Rhine and into Germany. I have found these images of the 1st Mountain regiment training in Scotland which other may find of interest if their relations were connected in this manner. I have quite a few so please let me know if your interested and I'll post more

cheers

Nick
[Thumb - scan0001.jpg]
 Filename scan0001.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 401 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  431 time(s)

[Thumb - scan0026.jpg]
 Filename scan0026.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 343 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  437 time(s)

[Thumb - scan0022.jpg]
 Filename scan0022.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 361 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  422 time(s)

Nick Heasman
Forum Member

Other images of 1st Mountain regiment training in Scotland later assigned to 1 Commando post Walcheren
[Thumb - scan0019.jpg]
 Filename scan0019.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 274 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  435 time(s)

[Thumb - scan0020.jpg]
 Filename scan0020.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 314 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  421 time(s)

[Thumb - scan0016.jpg]
 Filename scan0016.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 325 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  428 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

Thank you for sharing the images with us. I can confirm that the 1st Mountain Regiment RA did join in March 1945 up with 1 Commando Brigade (rather than No.1 Commando) for Operation Veritable. Here is a forum post with more information on the topic. I will send you a private message regarding the photos you have

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1296.page

Regards

Pete R.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

For researchers and others interested here is a link to a "Report on Operation Veritable 8th February - 10th March1945 ".

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/getfile/collection/p4013coll8/id/88/filename/77.pdf

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/10/2012 11:49:37

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was trying to remember the name of a book about the Mountain gunners who landed behind my Dad's Commando, No4 Army Commando, in Flushing. Ironic that they trained a unit to fight in the mountains and sent them to Holland.
Best wishes in your search.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It was 452 battery 1st Mountain Regiment that landed behind No 4 Army Commando at Flushing. Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
John L Dixon
Forum Member

Nick - would you please get in touch regarding the photos of 1st Mountain Regiment? E-mail [email protected]

Thanks.

John L Dixon
Lead Researcher
www.newmp.org.uk/70brigade
[email protected]
[Email] [WWW]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger