commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
MNE L CAMPBELL PO/X114064  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Kennth Campbell
Forum Member

My Father was MNE L CAMPBELL PO/X114064[/u] (this is all the info I have on him.)
Hi all, my name is Ken Campbell I served 9 years in the Royal Engineers (Sorry) and I'm a Falklands War Vet.
I'm looking for infomation on my Fathers service record, any help would be Fantastic.
Thank you
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This message unfortunately got held in the system without posting automatically onto the site. Our apologies for the delay.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the CVA Website & forums.

First of all The Commando Veterans Association was formed to ensure that the unique spirit, tradition and camaraderie of the Commandos does not fade but is kept alive, for present and future generations.

The CVA is not a regimental association, but an association, run by a few volunteers, for those elite few who wear the Green Beret, their families and friends...
This said, I have to point out that, although we are a highly respected and knowledgable organization, we do not hold official lists or documents (other than those that we have found through research or that have been kindly sent in to us).

So, the bad news is that we will have no 'official' record of your father, although there is a possibility that he may appear on a photo in the Gallery.

The second bit of bad news is that up to 1942, there were no RM Commandos!
The Royal Marines can trace their origins back to 1664 but not in a Commando Role - they had Infantry, Artillery, Engineers etc. but they were all Royal Marines.
In 1942, Churchill decided that the RMs were not being used to their full potential and from then it was decided to train & convert nine RM Infantry battalions to become RM Commandos to serve alongside the Army Commandos (who had been formed in 1940).
With the introduction of berets into HM Armed Forces, those RM who didn't train & become RM Cdos wore the Navy Blue beret (with scarlet tombstone behind their Globe & Laurel cap badge) whilst the Army Cdos & RM Cdos were issued Green Berets.

After the War, it was decreed that the Army Commandos would be disbanded and the Royal Marines would take on the Commando Role - it wasn't until 1964 that the whole RM Corps were eventually converted to RM Cdos and from that date, with the exception of basic recruits & officer cadets, all RMs wore the Green Beret.

So with the information you have provided, we are unable to state whether you father was a Commando or not...

However, the good news is that we may be able to help you in your quest - but first a few questions...

Did your father survive the War?

Are you his next of kin ?
If not, are you in contact with his NoK?

Are you aware that you can apply to the MoD for his service records (for a fee of £30) - should you want to follow this route, I can forward you the appropriate forms.

Sorry for the history lessons ;-)

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Ken,
Your father is mentioned on this forum,he is shown as a Corporal with 46 Commando.

At the top of the forum page is a white oblong [Customer Search],punch in L Campbell, I believe the second entry down states 46 commando nominal roll,you will find him there.

Not a lot of info ,but it all helps,best of luck

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Excellent - thanks Graham, I'm sure Ken will be pleased with this information which will start him on the right road in his quest to find info on his father...

Perhaps I should take this opportunity to welcome Graham to the Commando Veterans' Association Research Group...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ken

Your father was wounded whilst serving with 46RM Commando on the 12th April 1945 during theRiver Aller crossing. I took the names in that Nominal Roll from a small blue book issued to many of the 46RM Cdo veterans called The Story of 46 Commando by Captain P.K. Johnson, RM, first published in 1946

He is named in the casualties list for that period. Rank Corporal.

[Thumb - 46RM Cdo wounded at the Aller.jpg]
 Filename 46RM Cdo wounded at the Aller.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 161 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  338 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger