commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Posting  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My father like Idris Jones and Andy's father were from the R.W.F and also in No1 Commando and prior to this were in the same Independent Company and no doubt knew each other, as Idris remembered my father well. He also pointed out that one of the three Commandoes in Idris's photos was a very close friend of my father as they had intendently met up in India/Burma at one point.
My query is, that whilst Idris and Andy's father were posted into the European theatre with No1 Commando, my father was posted to India (204) and then Burma(142 Commando Company). How were the postings designated to the individuals?

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin

In the absence of any other replies, I will just add that it might simply be a case that he was either selected for, or volunteered for, a particular group/task/role that came up.

Our gallery reveals that this happened in other Commandos - a small section of No 2 Commando went off to West Africa around September 1941 and were still out there when the St Nazaire raid took place only returning to the UK as a result of that raid. Captain Godfrey Franks led the section of No 2 Cdo. Herbie Morris No 2 Cdo documents their time out there and mentions there were small groups of Commandos out there from other units such as No 9 Cdo. They sailed on the Ulster Monarch.

The Naval history website shows this convoy here under WS11X - 1941 SAILINGS

The full memoirs of Herbert Dixon No 2 Commando can be found HERE

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger